Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eye diagram on an oscilloscope

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    I'm working on some stuff using an oscilloscope, and I need to figure out how to obtain an eye diagram, or eye pattern on it. Right now I just have a function generator hooked up to it. There's a sync output on the function generator as well as the output for the signal. Do I just hook up the sync output to the external trigger input of the scope? Is there anything else I have to do? Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's pretty much it. You're using a digital o'scope with a "persistence" mode, right?

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    What exactly do you mean by persistence mode? I know I can turn on infinite persistence, but I'm not sure 1) what this means and 2) if it's the same things as persistence mode.

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4

berkeman

Yes, you would generally use "infinite persistence" mode to form the eye diagram. You turn it on, and the display accumulates all of the trace data. If you have a stable waveform, there will be very little movement on the display, and the "eye" will be nice an open. If there is a lot of jitter in the display from whatever source, that will start to close the eye over time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_diagram

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5
    Here's the problem. I have a function generator that's outputting a sine wave, and that shows up fine on the scope. I hook up the sync output of the function generator to the external trigger of the scope, then hit the button for infinite persistence, and nothing seems to happen.

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6

berkeman

Probably because it is a nice clean sine wave, that always re-traces the same path on the screen.

Try making an RC circuit, and vary the R or C values. Or vary the amplitude output on the sig gen. You should see "ghost" traces that are saved by the persistence.

8. Jul 15, 2011 #7
    http://forums.tm.agilent.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2935 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Jul 15, 2011 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To get a good eye diagram, you need a long(ish) sequence of pseudo random data to represent a read data signal, with the scope synced to the clock. This is a pretty trivial thing to produce with a short shift register and the appropriate knock-backs.
    With a simple, repeated, waveform you can't get an eye pattern.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook