Eye diagram on an oscilloscope

In summary: With a more complex waveform (like a function generator) you might be able to a little by tweaking the trigger level and the sync level.
roz77
I'm working on some stuff using an oscilloscope, and I need to figure out how to obtain an eye diagram, or eye pattern on it. Right now I just have a function generator hooked up to it. There's a sync output on the function generator as well as the output for the signal. Do I just hook up the sync output to the external trigger input of the scope? Is there anything else I have to do? Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
roz77 said:
I'm working on some stuff using an oscilloscope, and I need to figure out how to obtain an eye diagram, or eye pattern on it. Right now I just have a function generator hooked up to it. There's a sync output on the function generator as well as the output for the signal. Do I just hook up the sync output to the external trigger input of the scope? Is there anything else I have to do? Thanks for your help.

That's pretty much it. You're using a digital o'scope with a "persistence" mode, right?

What exactly do you mean by persistence mode? I know I can turn on infinite persistence, but I'm not sure 1) what this means and 2) if it's the same things as persistence mode.

roz77 said:
What exactly do you mean by persistence mode? I know I can turn on infinite persistence, but I'm not sure 1) what this means and 2) if it's the same things as persistence mode.

Yes, you would generally use "infinite persistence" mode to form the eye diagram. You turn it on, and the display accumulates all of the trace data. If you have a stable waveform, there will be very little movement on the display, and the "eye" will be nice an open. If there is a lot of jitter in the display from whatever source, that will start to close the eye over time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_diagram

Here's the problem. I have a function generator that's outputting a sine wave, and that shows up fine on the scope. I hook up the sync output of the function generator to the external trigger of the scope, then hit the button for infinite persistence, and nothing seems to happen.

roz77 said:
Here's the problem. I have a function generator that's outputting a sine wave, and that shows up fine on the scope. I hook up the sync output of the function generator to the external trigger of the scope, then hit the button for infinite persistence, and nothing seems to happen.

Probably because it is a nice clean sine wave, that always re-traces the same path on the screen.

Try making an RC circuit, and vary the R or C values. Or vary the amplitude output on the sig gen. You should see "ghost" traces that are saved by the persistence.

http://forums.tm.agilent.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2935

Last edited by a moderator:
To get a good eye diagram, you need a long(ish) sequence of pseudo random data to represent a read data signal, with the scope synced to the clock. This is a pretty trivial thing to produce with a short shift register and the appropriate knock-backs.
With a simple, repeated, waveform you can't get an eye pattern.

What is an eye diagram on an oscilloscope?

An eye diagram on an oscilloscope is a graphical representation of a digital signal's quality and characteristics. It is created by superimposing multiple traces of the signal over time, resulting in a shape that resembles an eye.

Why is an eye diagram important in signal analysis?

An eye diagram provides valuable insights into the quality of a digital signal, including its amplitude, timing, and noise levels. It can help identify signal integrity issues such as jitter, distortion, and crosstalk, allowing for troubleshooting and optimization of the signal.

How is an eye diagram created on an oscilloscope?

An eye diagram is created by sampling the digital signal over multiple cycles and overlaying the traces on top of each other. The oscilloscope then displays the resulting pattern, which can be interpreted and analyzed to determine the signal's characteristics.

What can cause variations in an eye diagram?

Variations in an eye diagram can be caused by a variety of factors, such as noise, reflections, impedance mismatches, and timing errors. These can result in a distorted or degraded eye pattern, indicating potential issues with the signal's quality.

How can an eye diagram be used for troubleshooting?

An eye diagram can be used to identify and troubleshoot signal integrity issues in a digital circuit. By analyzing the shape and characteristics of the eye pattern, engineers can pinpoint the source of the problem and make necessary adjustments or improvements to optimize the signal's performance.