F has a primitive on D ⊂ ℂ ⇒ ∫f = 0 along any closed curve in D?

In summary, the Residue Theorem states that for a positive parametrization of a circle of radius two centered at the origin, the integral of the function f(z)=\frac{z}{(z-1)(z+1)} over this curve is equal to 2\pi i. This implies that f(z) does not have a primitive in ℂ\[-1,1]. The contrapositive of this is also true, as having a primitive would allow for the evaluation of the integral to be zero, which is not the case.
Poopsilon
Given the domain ℂ\[-1,1] and the function, [itex]f(z)=\frac{z}{(z-1)(z+1)}[/itex], defined on this domain, the Residue Theorem shows that for [itex]\alpha[/itex] a positive parametrization of the circle of radius two centered at the origin, that:

[tex]\int_{\alpha}f(z)=\int_{\alpha}\frac{z}{(z-1)(z+1)} = 2\pi i[/tex]

Can I automatically conclude from this that [itex]f(z)=\frac{z}{(z-1)(z+1)}[/itex] does not have a primitive in ℂ\[-1,1]?

I already know it's true the other way, so I'm suspecting that these two statements in the title are equivalent.

(Note, this is the contrapositive of the title)

Physics news on Phys.org
yep. that's how you do it. having a primitive makes it possible to evaluate the integral by evaluating the primitive at both ends of the curve and subtracting, so you get zero if those two ends are the same. So actually you are asking it in the trivial direction. The other direction is harder.

Ok you that makes complete sense, thanks mathwonk.

1. What does it mean for F to have a primitive on D?

Having a primitive on D means that there exists a differentiable function F that satisfies F' = f on D. In other words, the function F can be integrated to obtain f.

2. What is a primitive function?

A primitive function is a function whose derivative is equal to a given function. It is also known as an antiderivative.

3. What is the significance of having a primitive on D?

If a function F has a primitive on D, then any closed curve in D will have an integral of 0. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and is useful in solving various mathematical problems.

4. How does this statement relate to complex analysis?

This statement is a fundamental result in complex analysis, specifically in the study of complex integrals. It states that if a function F has a primitive on D, then the integral of f along any closed curve in D will be 0.

5. Can a function have a primitive on a subset of the complex plane?

Yes, a function can have a primitive on a subset of the complex plane. This means that the function can be integrated along any curve in that subset to obtain a result of 0.