Factoring a quartic polynomial

In summary, the polynomial ##x^4-3x^2+9## can be factored over the complex numbers into two quadratics with complex coefficients. However, using the polar form of complex numbers, the complex coefficients can be expressed using just real coefficients. Therefore, the polynomial can be factored over the reals into two quadratics with real coefficients.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Factor ##x^4-3x^2+9## over the reals

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am factoring this polynomial over the reals. So there are two options. It will either split into two linear factors and an irreducible quadratic, or two irreducible quadratics. I'm really not too sure how to proceed from here... Should I first start looking for a real root?

Likes lurflurf
Physics news on Phys.org
The polynomial is easily factored over the complex numbers by first solving it as a quadratic in ##x^2##. By then taking both square roots of both solutions, you'll have four complex roots of the quartic. The question then is whether any product of three or fewer degree-one polynomial factors each of the form ##(x-r)## where ##r## is a complex root, gives a polynomial with only real coefficients.

andrewkirk said:
The polynomial is easily factored over the complex numbers by first solving it as a quadratic in ##x^2##. By then taking both square roots of both solutions, you'll have four complex roots of the quartic. The question then is whether any product of three or fewer degree-one polynomial factors each of the form ##(x-r)## where ##r## is a complex root, gives a polynomial with only real coefficients.
So I have ##(x+\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1-i \sqrt{3})})(x-\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1-i \sqrt{3})})(x+\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1+i \sqrt{3})})(x-\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1+i \sqrt{3})})##. This seems very messy. Is there any way to simplify it?

Likes lurflurf
Mr Davis 97 said:
So I have ##(x+\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1-i \sqrt{3})})(x-\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1-i \sqrt{3})})(x+\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1+i \sqrt{3})})(x-\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}(1+i \sqrt{3})})##. This seems very messy. Is there any way to simplify it?
Looks fine to me. I don't think this factorization lends itself to much more simplification.

Mark44 said:
Looks fine to me. I don't think this factorization lends itself to much more simplification.
So is there a way to get from this factorization to the product of two quadratics with real coefficients?

Mr Davis 97 said:

The complex numbers ##\sqrt{(3/2) (1\pm i \sqrt{3})}## simplify a lot.

it seems it shoud factor into two real quadratics, no?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So is there a way to get from this factorization to the product of two quadratics with real coefficients?
Yes there is. Start by writing the two roots of the quadratic in ##x^2## in polar form, which has been made easy by the specially selected coefficients given in the problem.

we are looking for quadratic factors ie
##x^4-3x^2+3^2=(a x^2+b x+c)(d x^2+e x+f)##
we can reduce the choices by considering each coefficient in turn

x^4
a d =1
we know a and d since there are very few factorizations
x^3
a e+b d=0
we know b+e
x
b f+c e=0
we know c-f
x^0
c f=9
we know c and f
x^2
a f+b e+c d
we know b and e
we are done

note that two coefficients being zero and the remaining coefficients being small helps greatly

Note that if you multiply or add two numbers that are complex-conjugates, then the result is real:

##(a+ib)(a-ib) = a^2 + b^2##
##(a+ib) + (a-ib) = 2a##

So it follows that ##(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})## can be expressed using just real coefficients. Similarly for ##(x -\sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x - \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})##

So your real factorization is ##[(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})] [(x - \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x - \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})]##

There's a big simplification that comes from using the polar form of complex numbers: ##a + ib = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} e^{i \theta}## where ##\theta## is chosen so that ##cos(\theta) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}## and ##sin(\theta) = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}##. Then the square root is easy:

##\sqrt{a+ib} = (a^2 + b^2)^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{i \frac{\theta}{2}}##

Likes ehild
Mr Davis 97 said:
notice
##x^4-3x^2+9=(x-a)(x-a^\ast)(x+a)(x+a^\ast) % =[ x^2-(a+a^\ast)x+a^\ast a ] [ x^2+(a+a^\ast)x+a^\ast a ]##
##=x^4-[(a+a^\ast)^2-2a^\ast a]x^2+(a^\ast a)^2##
It is then easy find a+a* and a*a to effect the factorization.
You could also find a in rectangular or polar coordinates if you wanted to.

stevendaryl said:
Note that if you multiply or add two numbers that are complex-conjugates, then the result is real:

##(a+ib)(a-ib) = a^2 + b^2##
##(a+ib) + (a-ib) = 2a##

So it follows that ##(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})## can be expressed using just real coefficients. Similarly for ##(x -\sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x - \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})##

So your real factorization is ##[(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x + \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})] [(x - \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1+i\sqrt{3})})(x - \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} (1-i\sqrt{3})})]##

There's a big simplification that comes from using the polar form of complex numbers: ##a + ib = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} e^{i \theta}## where ##\theta## is chosen so that ##cos(\theta) = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}## and ##sin(\theta) = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}##. Then the square root is easy:

##\sqrt{a+ib} = (a^2 + b^2)^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{i \frac{\theta}{2}}##

That is what I hinted at in post #6, but have received no feedback from the OP to date. (Actually, maybe not so much of a hint; perhaps more of a pre-hint, but with the motivation to have the OP do some more work on the problem.)

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Factor ##x^4-3x^2+9## over the reals

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am factoring this polynomial over the reals. So there are two options. It will either split into two linear factors and an irreducible quadratic, or two irreducible quadratics. I'm really not too sure how to proceed from here... Should I first start looking for a real root?
Note that the polynomial can be written as ##(x^2+3)^2-9x^2##.

Likes stevendaryl

1. What is factoring a quartic polynomial?

Factoring a quartic polynomial is the process of breaking down a polynomial with a degree of four into its factors. Factors are expressions or numbers that can be multiplied together to obtain the original polynomial.

2. Why is factoring a quartic polynomial important?

Factoring a quartic polynomial is important because it helps us find the roots or solutions of the polynomial. It also allows us to simplify and solve more complex equations involving quartic polynomials.

3. What are the steps involved in factoring a quartic polynomial?

The steps involved in factoring a quartic polynomial are:

1. Identify if the polynomial has any common factors.
  2. Use the grouping method to factor out any common factors.
  3. Apply the difference of squares or difference of cubes formula, if applicable.
  4. Use the quadratic formula to solve for the remaining factors.
  5. Check the factored polynomial by multiplying the factors together to ensure they equal the original polynomial.

4. Can all quartic polynomials be factored?

No, not all quartic polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials may have irrational or complex roots that cannot be factored using real numbers. However, the Rational Root Theorem can help determine if a quartic polynomial is factorable using rational numbers.

5. How can factoring a quartic polynomial be applied in real-life situations?

Factoring a quartic polynomial can be applied in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, in engineering, factoring a quartic polynomial can be used to find the optimal dimensions for a given structure. In economics, it can be used to analyze revenue and profit functions. In physics, it can be used to solve equations related to motion and energy.