1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Fall 2010 Graduate Admissions Thread

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    So, the time has come that grad school decisions are coming in. Anybody received any acceptances yet?
    I have applied to 8 schools for a master's in math and have gotten accepted to two - Miami University of Ohio and Bowling Green State University.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2
    so far ive been accepted to 4 schools, and havent heard back from the other 5 i applied to

it's already a really tough 3-way choice for me (the other was sort of a safe school - good program, but not somewhere i wanted to live), so much so that i wouldnt be heartbroken to find out the other 5 all denied me tomorrow

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Accepted to one Ivy League and invited to an interview weekend at one state school, both for Materials Science and Engineering PhD programs. Still waiting on another state school for MSE and Electrical Engineering PhD programs, as well as another Ivy League for a MSE PhD.

I am completely floored by my luck here! My school is totally unknown in MSE and I am a physics/applied math major. I owe this all to a good REU experience and awesome letters of rec, I bet.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4
    Been accepted to 4 as of now

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5
    congratulations!

since i last posted in this thread, 2 of the 5 responded, both with rejections. im not at all surprised or disappointed, though.

7. Mar 6, 2010 #6
    I apologize to interrupt the flow of the discussion, since neither have I applied to a graduate school nor have I been accepted/rejected by any.

However, having seen a similar post in another math forum, I thought that if you guys out there, who have applied to graduate schools, would be willing to be more informative it would help many people like myself who participate in this forum.

Specifically, if you would be willing to share more information about yourself like:
    1. School you come from (or at least in your opinion how well known it is compared to other schools)
    2. GPA
    3. GRE (Math, Cr Reading, Writing)
    4. Subject Math GRE
    5. Research Experience
    6. Schools you have applied to
    7. Schools you have been accepted to, rejected from etc.

It would serve as a good reference to everyone who is planning to apply to graduate school in the future.

Thanks for your cooperation!

8. Mar 7, 2010 #7
    sutupidmath, check out the forums at thegradcafe.com, there is a forum for each area of study and people discuss their applications and will sometimes share info on their application stats.

yuster.com seems like a great concept for comparing your stats to other applicants, but it's also somewhat underused, and there also isn't any room for people to compare important aspects like letters of recommendation

personally i had a decent gpa ~3.6, only 1 semester of research experience, 3 good LoRs (probably what got me in where i did), very high GRE scores but only 60% subject gre, and no publications or awards. i applied to two of the very top schools and was rejected, but was accepted to two rank 10ish schools and a rank 20ish one

this was for chemistry

9. Mar 8, 2010 #8
    I came from a not very well known school. No one out of state would probably have have heard of it.
    My GPA is about a 3.0 with my math GPA along the same lines.
    I got a 600 on math, about a 400 on crit reading, and a 3 on writing.
    I did not take the subject gre.
    No research experience, but have had tutoring and teaching experience.
    I applied to Bowling Green State, Miami University of Ohio, Kent State, University of Vermont, University of Tennessee, Ohio University, University of Akron, and Smith College all for the master program in math. I got into Miami University, Bowling Green State, Kent State, and University of Tennessee. I was rejected from university of vermont and have not heard from the others.

10. Mar 8, 2010 #9
    Wow...any funding? If yes, im pissed cause my gre score is much better and Im having difficulty securing the money...

11. Mar 8, 2010 #10
    No money offers yet. I knew my GRE score wasn't great, so I applied to a lot of programs that didn't require it. I guess it helped having good reccomendation letters. One school told me late March to hear about money.

12. Mar 9, 2010 #11
    I've been accepted into Oklahoma and rejected from Columbia so far. Haven't heard back from 5 other schools. I applied for the astronomy Ph.D. program, by the way.

13. Mar 16, 2010 #12
    My GRE Scores: Q-800, V-430, W-4.5. Subject: 710.

Accepted from U of New Mexico and U of Iowa.

Rejected from Purdue, Case Western, Stony Brook.

In waiting list in Carnegie Mellon, Penn State, UC-Davis.

No response from Georgia Tech and Michigan State.

By the way, I applied for Astrophysics.

14. Mar 16, 2010 #13
    Anybody got any news from Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech or Michigan State?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook