Solving a Problem with Non-Constant g: Expanding a Maclaurin Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of an object dropped from a height above Earth where the acceleration due to gravity is not constant. The suggested solution involves using conservation of energy and Gauss' law, but it is noted that conservation of energy cannot be used because g is not constant. The correct solution is suggested to be using mMG/(r+h). However, the result obtained has a missing factor of 2 in front of the R in the final equation. The person is asked to show their calculations to identify where the error was made.
didinyc

Homework Statement

Suppose an object is dropped from height h above Earth where h<<R, but is large enough so g, the acceleration due to gravity, is NOT constant! Show that speed with which it hits the ground, neglecting friction, is approximately, v= sqrt2gh *(1-(h/2R))

Hint: you will need to expand an expression in Maclaurin series.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use conservation of energy and find g by using the gauss' law i got a close result but i didnt get the 2 in the last solution! Then I realize I cannot use conservation of energy because the g is not constant so i cannot use mgh! any ideas how could i solve this proble

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi didinyc! welcome to pf! :smile:
didinyc said:
… because the g is not constant so i cannot use mgh!

so use mMG/(r+h) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi didinyc! welcome to pf! :smile:so use mMG/(r+h) :wink:

thank you! I tried what you said too but the answer that i got is wrong.It is really close answer except the 2 in front of the R in the v equation! so this is what i got as my result: v= sqrt2gh *(1-(h/R))!

hi didinyc! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong! :smile:

m?

There are a few different approaches you could take to solve this problem. One option is to use the Maclaurin series expansion of the gravitational potential energy, which can account for non-constant g. This would involve finding the first few terms of the series and using them to calculate the potential energy at different heights. From there, you could use the conservation of energy principle to find the speed at which the object hits the ground.

Another approach could be to use the Taylor series expansion of the acceleration due to gravity, which can also account for non-constant g. This would involve finding the first few terms of the series and using them to calculate the acceleration at different heights. From there, you could use the equations of motion to find the speed at which the object hits the ground.

Regardless of the approach you choose, it would be important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of your calculation, such as neglecting friction and assuming a small h in relation to the Earth's radius. You may also want to compare your result to the solution for a constant g to see how accurate your approximation is.

What does it mean to solve a problem with non-constant g?

Solving a problem with non-constant g means finding a solution to a mathematical or scientific problem where the acceleration due to gravity (g) is not constant. In other words, g varies with respect to time, location, or other factors.

What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of power series expansion used in calculus to approximate a function. It is a polynomial expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms that are derived from the function's derivatives at a specific point, usually x = 0.

How is a Maclaurin series used in problem-solving?

A Maclaurin series can be used to approximate a function that cannot be easily solved using traditional methods. By expanding the function as a series and evaluating it at a specific point, we can get a good approximation of the function's value at that point.

What are the limitations of using a Maclaurin series to solve problems with non-constant g?

A Maclaurin series can only provide an approximation of a function, so it may not accurately solve problems involving non-constant g. Additionally, the further away the value of g is from the point at which the series is centered, the less accurate the approximation will be.

What are some real-world applications of solving problems with non-constant g using Maclaurin series?

Problems with non-constant g can arise in many fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some real-world applications of using Maclaurin series to solve these problems include calculating the motion of a pendulum, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and determining the shape of a planet or moon's orbit.