Falling down an infinitely deep well

A.T., I assume, then, that one photon with twice the frequency of another has twice the rest mass?

A.T.
Science Advisor
A.T., I assume, then, that one photon with twice the frequency of another has twice the rest mass?
What DaleSpam said. Photons do not advance in propertime, so the projection of their dynamic mass onto the propertime dimension (= rest mass) is zero. Their dynamic mass entirely goes into the spatial dimensions (= momentum).

I seem to vaguely recall that high-energy photons have more momentum than low-energy photons. In my "w" space, the frequency of a photon measures the number of times a photon "spirals" around the very-tiny-curled-up w dimension. In this model, the w component of the vector is identical to what we call "mass." Frequency is therefore directly proportional to the "mass" of the photon, which means that the momentum of a photon with twice the frequency should be twice the momentum of a photon with half the frequency (since the velocity is essentially the same--c--but the "mass" is doubled).

As I'm learning about "propertime," I see that what I have been crudely thinking about in terms of "mass" (with quotation marks!) may simply be what trained relativity folks know as "propertime." It seems as if, for a given particle, mass and propertime have many characteristics in common.

Has anybody ever proved that a photon isn't just an electron moving along the x axis with almost no w component, and an electron isn't just a photon moving along the w axis with almost no x component?

Thanks, Todd. The folks at "Ask the Physicist" have been very kind to respond to my questions, as has this board.

since the original post asked for x as a function of t, not v, I have added a calculation of x to the above link