Help! Understanding Faraday's Law

In summary, according to Faradays law, an electric field is created whenever a magnetic field is changed. This electric field opposes any change in magnetic flux, and can be found by determining the time derivative of the flux.
arnesmeets
I've got some serious problems understanding Faradays law.

I think any changing magnetic field will create/induce an electric field through empty space. Is that correct? And if so, what is the direction of the field? I mean, the electric field vectors must have *some* direction, but I can't possibly imagine which direction that should be. Everything I try gives me some sort of contradiction. I also read that this electric field is "not conservative". I don't really understand what is meant by this and how it can be "not conservative", can someone please clarify?

And how can you find the magnitude of the electric field? For example, in the concrete situation where B varies as [tex]B = B_0 \sin \omega t[/tex] - how do I calculate E?? I can calculate the time derivative of the flux through some imaginary closed loop, but whenever I try to calculate E, I get some weird result.

Could someone please explain? I really don't understand this stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your "weird result"? Also, a conservative force is one that exerts the same amount of work in moving an object from point A to point B regardless of path.

According to Faraday-Lenz's law ,
[tex]\epsilon = - \frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the magnetic flux through a given area .
The tendency of the induced electric field or induced emf is to oppose any change in magnetic flux through a given area, as can be seen from the -ve sign on the RHS of the equation .The induced electric field itself produces a magnetic field which tends to nullify the change.
Now can you figure out the direction of electric field in different cases ?

For the second part of your question, you need a path along which the electric field is uniform.
Let us consider the varying field being directed out of the plane of the computer screen . From arguments of symmetry, we may conclude that the electric fields induced are circular and lie parallel to the plane of the screen (find the direction of magnetic field induced at some instant) .For a fixed path of radius r, you can find flux through the circular area and calculate emf .
You know that
[tex]\int E.dl = \epsilon[/tex]

Can you go from here ?

Arun

Last edited:
So the induced electric field shouldn't be seen as the "classical" electric field (having a magnitude and direction etc) but rather as a sort of "friction force"? The direction of the induced electric field depends on how the flux is changing? What happens in empty space then, if the magnetic flux is changing - there must be SOME electric field, but we just cannot say how it looks, what its direction is?

Also, I don't really get why the fields induced should be circular in that particular situation...

arnesmeets said:
So the induced electric field shouldn't be seen as the "classical" electric field (having a magnitude and direction etc) but rather as a sort of "friction force"?

Well, not really. It does indeed have a magnitude and direction, but the electric field tends to form closed paths.
The problem with this is that even though work is done on a unit charge by the electric field , it always seems to return to its original configuration (closed path) or same potential and seemingly no work is done .
It is therefore emphasised that the notion of potential is absent ( or shall we say different) in the case of induced fields.
And this is also why it is non conservative .

arnesmeets said:
The direction of the induced electric field depends on how the flux is changing?
Yes , that is correct .

arnesmeets said:
Also, I don't really get why the fields induced should be circular in that particular situation...

Have you learned about the magnetic fields produced by a circular current carring conductor or solenoid ?
How are they directed ? What is the direction of electric field in the conductor ? Is it same as that of conventional current ?
How can you use these fields to oppose flux change ?

I sort of get that, I think (about the field forming closed paths etc).

But there is one problem left for me: let's look at the path the charge is following. Is the induced field tangent to the path, or is it perpendicular to the tangent, or... ? I really don't see this.

All other aspects of an induced electric field is the same as that of an ordinary electric field .
So the direction of the induced electric field is the direction in which a charged particle will move when placed in the field .

Also try to answer the questions in the second part of my last post .

Arun

Last edited:

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as the law of electromagnetic induction, states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, a current will be induced in the conductor.

2. Who is Michael Faraday?

Michael Faraday was a British scientist who made significant contributions to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry. He is best known for discovering the principles of electromagnetic induction, which led to the development of electric generators and motors.

3. How does Faraday's Law work?

Faraday's Law states that when a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field, the electrons in the conductor will experience a force and move in a particular direction. This movement of electrons creates an electric current in the conductor.

4. What are the applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications, including electric generators and motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also the basis for many technologies, such as power plants and electric vehicles, that rely on the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy.

5. How is Faraday's Law related to Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law, stating that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it. This means that the induced current will create a magnetic field that opposes the original changing magnetic field, resulting in the conservation of energy.