1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday's Law

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A square of side 2cm, in the first quadrant of the x-y plane, with a corner at the origin, is in a magnetic field pointing out of the page of magnitude 4t2y.

Calculate the emf around the square at t = 2.5s and give its direction.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \epsilon = - \frac{d}{dt} \Phi [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Do I do it like this?

[tex] \epsilon = -\frac{d}{dt} \int ^2 _0 \int ^2 _0 4t^2 y \ dx \ dy [/tex]

If so, then great. If not, what do I do?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2
    Yeah, that seems correct as you are just using the definition of flux:
    [tex]\phi = \int \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dA} [/tex]

And subbing that into your above expression for the emf.

It looks correct but I'm not certain as I'm only a mere first year so you should probably get someone else to confirm.
  4. May 9, 2010 #3
    It looks correct, but I would double check the units of distance, magnetic field and voltage. What system of units are you using for Maxwell's equations? I normally use SI units with meters, Telsa and Volts, so I would have set my upper limits at 0.02 rather than 2. However, if you are using CGS units it may be correct - just double check it.
  5. May 9, 2010 #4
    Yeah, I screwed up the units in the OP; had them right in my paper calculation.
  6. May 9, 2010 #5
    OK, good! I guess you're using SI units. I think with cgs (or, more accurately Gaussian) units there might be a speed of light factor involved.
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook