Calculating EMF Around a Square in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the emf around a square with a side length of 2cm located in the first quadrant of the x-y plane, with a corner at the origin. The magnetic field around the square is pointing out of the page with a magnitude of 4t2y. The equation used to calculate the emf is \epsilon = -\frac{d}{dt} \int ^2 _0 \int ^2 _0 4t^2 y \ dx \ dy, and the units used are SI units with meters, Tesla, and Volts.
gadje

Homework Statement

A square of side 2cm, in the first quadrant of the x-y plane, with a corner at the origin, is in a magnetic field pointing out of the page of magnitude 4t2y.

Calculate the emf around the square at t = 2.5s and give its direction.

Homework Equations

[tex] \epsilon = - \frac{d}{dt} \Phi [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I do it like this?

[tex] \epsilon = -\frac{d}{dt} \int ^2 _0 \int ^2 _0 4t^2 y \ dx \ dy [/tex]

If so, then great. If not, what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that seems correct as you are just using the definition of flux:
[tex]\phi = \int \vec{B} \cdot \vec{dA} [/tex]

And subbing that into your above expression for the emf.

It looks correct but I'm not certain as I'm only a mere first year so you should probably get someone else to confirm.

It looks correct, but I would double check the units of distance, magnetic field and voltage. What system of units are you using for Maxwell's equations? I normally use SI units with meters, Telsa and Volts, so I would have set my upper limits at 0.02 rather than 2. However, if you are using CGS units it may be correct - just double check it.

Yeah, I screwed up the units in the OP; had them right in my paper calculation.

gadje said:
Yeah, I screwed up the units in the OP; had them right in my paper calculation.

OK, good! I guess you're using SI units. I think with cgs (or, more accurately Gaussian) units there might be a speed of light factor involved.

Last edited:

FAQ: Calculating EMF Around a Square in a Magnetic Field

1. How do you calculate the EMF around a square in a magnetic field?

The EMF (electromotive force) around a square in a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation:
EMF = -N * (ΔΦ/Δt)
Where N is the number of turns in the coil, and ΔΦ/Δt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

2. What is the formula for magnetic flux?

The formula for magnetic flux is Φ = B * A * cosθ
Where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the loop, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

3. How does the number of turns in the coil affect the EMF?

The number of turns in the coil, represented by N, is directly proportional to the EMF. This means that as the number of turns increases, the EMF also increases.

4. Can the angle between the magnetic field and the loop affect the EMF?

Yes, the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop, represented by θ, can affect the EMF. The higher the angle, the lower the EMF will be.

5. What is the significance of calculating EMF around a square in a magnetic field?

Calculating the EMF around a square in a magnetic field is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic induction. It helps us understand how changing magnetic fields can generate electric currents, and is crucial in the development of technologies such as generators and motors.

Back