Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Farnsworth Fusior been built

1. Sep 19, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Farnsworth Fusior been built

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,510054502,00.html

"The apparatus is nothing less than the sine qua non of modern science: a nuclear fusion reactor, based on the plans of Utah's own Philo Farnsworth"

Am I the only one thinking this lad will be making the Cheddite Drive next.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2003 #2
    Overhyped anyone?

It doesn't produce extra energy from what I see. And it says others exist. He just had the time and parts to put one together based off of designs.

4. Sep 26, 2003 #3

FZ+

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/0,12977,1048639,00.html

5. Oct 13, 2003 #4
    That's odd though, I sometimes hear people talking about when are we going to achieve fusion and it's long since been done just not to a commercial level yet. I thought the earliest was in 1990 or so, but then why all the confusion with fusion? I guess it is one of those things, I mean if any good experimentalist could get on the internet and find the plans on how to build some very interesting devices then scrap it together... who knows what people might do with them or build, my bet is that the most coveted and guarded knowledge of all time is physics, probably for the best anyway.

...although my sources of information in the past were poor and of magazine varieties, probably why most people never heard of it, that it's more profitable to hear of it as some great barrier in science that is being worked on and near a breakthough than it can be done just not very well yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2003
  6. Oct 14, 2003 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure fusion has been achieved many times, going back to the 1950s. What hasn't ever been achieved is breakeven. The fusion device putting out more energy than is put into it. The "Farnsworth Fusor" won't come close to doing that either.

7. Oct 14, 2003 #6

FZ+

(And in a controlled fashion.)

8. Oct 15, 2003 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So true. See thread on hydrogen bomb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?