Favorite crackpot theories.

In summary, this person is a biologist who claims that soil formation is impossible and that soil must have come from space. He has no understanding of soil or geological processes, and his theories are based on little to no evidence. His website is full of gibberish and nonsense, and he appears to have a mental disorder.
well i like the www.hutchisoneffect.com and also bob lazar. both are fun to read when you are bored

oh and look how he writes

http://www.hutchisoneffect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281 :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pi = 3.125 He doesn't tell you much (you must buy the book- he's a real pro), but what is there to say? It's the end of the "Pi Mystery". Finally.

Okay, wait. Is that whole time cube thing about four corners of the Earth and four days blah blah. Is that it??

Chronos said:
Time cube, flat Earth and hollow earth, are imposing nominees.

I'm reasonably sure that flat Earth theory (the website that I've visited at least) was intended as a joke.

honestrosewater said:
pi = 3.125 He doesn't tell you much (you must buy the book- he's a real pro), but what is there to say? It's the end of the "Pi Mystery". Finally.

Almost as bad as trying to legistlate Pi = 3.0

I have grown increasingly fond of this devout math teacher's attempts to link mathematical concepts to religious issues:
Sharon K. Robbert, Professor of Mathematics

Christianity and Mathematics

Devotionals connected to mathematical content

Single-variable Calculus | Multivariable Calculus | Discrete Structures
Linear Algebra | Differential Equations | Statistics

Linear Algebra

Devotional Title Course Topic Scripture References
The Span of God's Love Spanning Set Eph. 3:14-21
Independent or Dependent? Independent and Dependent Vectors 1 Corin 12:7-26
Transformed by the Spirit Matrix Transformation 2 Corin. 3:18, Isaiah 1:18
Our Inverted Actions Matrix Inversions Rom 7:14-8:4
The Mark of a Determinant Determinants Ezek. 9:1-7, Gal. 6:17, Rev 7:3, Rev. 13:16
Generalization and Fulfillment Generalized Vector space Matt 5:17-20ff
THE Basis of the Law Bases of a Subspace Mark 12:28-34, Deut. 6:4-5, Lev. 19:18
Dimension of God Vector space Dimension Ps. 139:1-10, John 20:19ff
In the Eigenspace of Christ Eigenspaces 2 Corin 3:7-18
What is your Eigen? Eigenvalues Rom. 1:8-10
Our Inconsistent System Least-squares solution Rom 3:21-24

The Span of God's Love

Eph. 3:14-21

The span of a collection of vectors is defined to be the set of all possible linear combinations of the vectors with scalars selected from some set (a field--usually the real numbers). For example, if you select vectors i = <1, 0> and j = <0, 1>, the collection of linear combinations ai + bj (for a, b real numbers) is every vector in the two-dimensional coordinate plane. Creating something so large using something so small is surprising but at the same time expected because of previous experience with vectors, say in Calculus.

Now let's think about something whose words are very simple, say the love of God, and meditate on what the span of God's love might be. We read in Paul's letters to the Ephesians that he prays that they might "have the power. . . to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ." So the span of God's love is really really big! Is this surprising? YES! Just think about our rebellion and sin--so it is a surprise that God should love us! Is this expected? Again, yes! We have models in our families and friends that demonstrate how broad a father's love for his children can be.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more that all we ask or imagine. . . be glory . . throughout all generations, for ever and ever!"

Independent or Dependent?

1 Corin 12:7-26

One way to demonstrate that a collection of vectors is dependent is to show that one vector in the set can be written as a nontrivial linear combination of other vectors in the set. In this case, the one vector can be eliminated from the set without loss of any vectors from the span of the set. If eliminating any single vector from the set changes the span of the set, then that vector is not a linear combination of the remaining. Students quickly learn that a set of vectors cannot be dependent and independent at the same time--if a set of vectors is independent, there is no reason to continue searching for a way to eliminate a vector from the set. All are essential in that case.

Christians form an independent collection in the church, too. Each person is given a unique set of spiritual gifts that is essential in completing the church community. However, when you read 1 Corinthians 12, it is quickly apparent that this essential to the whole type of independence does not mean "independent" in a colloquial sense of the word--each is still dependent upon all the others in the church community to fulfill the mission God has ordained for that group. To create the same "span," each individual is needed and all need the others. Again, all are essential!

Transformed by the Spirit

2 Corin. 3:18, Isaiah 1:18

Matrix transformations are really fun. You can take an image, define the edges by particular vectors, and then transform or deform the image into new shapes. It is even possible to change the dimension of the space in which a vector lives if you use a matrix which has non-square dimensions.

God promises to transform us, too. We begin as distorted creatures--"our sins are like scarlet!" But through salvation in Jesus, our sins will become "white as snow!" The transformation of our status as guilty to innocent occurs immediately so we "reflect the Lord's glory" today! (Justification) At the same time, the transformation to be in the likeness of Christ is not immediate. We are told in 2 Corin 3 that we are in the process of being transformed "with ever-increasing glory" through the Spirit. (Sanctification!)

Our Inverted Actions

Rom 7:14-8:4

There is a really easy method to solve a system of equations in matrix form, theoretically speaking. If you multiply both sides of the matrix equation by the inverse of the coefficient matrix, the solution is immediately found. Of course, there is a catch--finding the inverse of the coefficient matrix can be computationally difficult or even impossible. The theoretical value is significant, though. Knowing whether or not a solution exists helps a mathematician decide which method to attempt!

Theoretically, it is also easy to talk about how one can become pure--just "invert" your actions and stop breaking the Law of God. The catch this time is that it is impossible for humans to stop sinning. Paul admits that he is a "sold as a slave to sin." He continues, "For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Fortunately for us, Jesus Christ set us free from the law of sin and death. Christ solves the equation for us!

The Mark of a Determinant

Ezek. 9:1-7, Gal. 6:17, Rev 7:3, Rev. 13:16

Systems of equations play an extremely important role in applied mathematics. A system of equations is a set of equations that are solved in tandem; solutions to the system must satisfy every equation individually. In these systems, complex relationships can be modeled. Relationships such as those between sectors of the United States economy, components of computer-aided design, and even the flight controls of the space shuttle can be modeled and examined in simulation---all without putting drivers of cars and astronauts at risk. One method that mathematicians can use to determine whether a systems has a solution or not is by calculation of a matrix determinant number. If the determinant value is not zero, then a unique solution to the system exists. Though the determinant has theoretical value, its practical value is limited. It often takes more computational effort to find the value of the determinant than it does to apply common system solution algorithms.

This type of indicator exists in scripture as well--there are spiritual marks that indicate the bearer's allegiance to God or to Satan. Most people are familiar with the "mark of the beast" John describes in his vision in the book of Revelations. Here the mark of the beast was the number 666. However, there are several instances where God marks the faithful with a mark or a seal. In a vision, Ezekiel hears God instruct his assistant, "the man clothed in linen," to put a mark on the foreheads of those who have stayed allied with God. These persons were to be spared execution when God's vengeance was delivered. Other instances of marks or seals of God are found in Galatians 6:17 and in Revelations 7:3. Except for the marks of Christ Paul describes in the Galatians passage, these marks are not practical; they only occur in a spiritual setting. This makes the connection to the determinant more striking.

Generalization and Fulfillment

Matt 5:17-20ff

Many concepts in mathematics are studied in a spiral. We study a concept in a conceptual setting, then generalize to a more complex setting by increasing dimension, and then generalize again to an even more complex setting by selecting characteristics that appear useful and then removing all other aspects of the conceptual setting. One of the first times the second type of generalization occurs in the undergraduate mathematics curriculum is in the study of general vector spaces.
[Note: Instances of this type of generalization also occur in non-Euclidean geometry, in group theory, etc.] Students find the lack of a conceptual setting troubling; in fact, instructors of linear algebra often refer to students "hitting the wall" when they first encounter general vector spaces.

Christ also had trouble with his students "hitting the wall" during his ministry. One important aspect of Jesus incarnation was to teach people the meaning behind the law of Moses. His death and resurrection are described as the fulfillment of the Old Testament law. This generalization of the law is beautifully described by Jesus during the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5-7. A common phrase Jesus used during this sermon is "You have heard that it was said…." Each of these phrases is followed by a generalization of an Old Testament law to include the intent behind the law: murder is generalized to include hatred, adultery is generalized to incorporate lust, and love for neighbors is generalized to love for all. The students of Jesus who "hit the wall" were the ones who thought they understood the law the best--the leaders of the Jewish faith.

THE Basis of the Law

Mark 12:28-34, Deut. 6:4-5, Lev. 19:18

A basis for a vector space or a subspace of a vector space is a linearly independent collection of vectors whose span is the entire space. To find one basis for a subspace of Euclidean space which is the columnspace of a matrix, one looks for the largest collection of columns of the original matrix that are linearly independent. These columns are a set of essential vectors--from them one is able to recover the entire columnspace of the original matrix.

Basis appear in the Bible, too. To help the Israelite nation become worthy of the title, chosen people, God gave them a set of laws to follow. Although we often focus on the Ten Commandments, the Old Testament Israelites had many laws to follow. (See Leviticus, for example.) God knew that the people of Israel needed lots of specifics, but he also knew that remembering every detail would be tough. So he gave them a summary, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all of your mind and with all your strength." By the time Jesus came to earth, the Israelite people had forgotten that the intent of the law was based in the love of God and were focused on the details. So, Jesus reminded them that the BASIS for the law was this summary and that this summary captures all of the essential elements of the law of God.

Dimension of God

Ps. 139:1-10, John 20:19ff

The dimension of a vector space is a constant which indicates the number of vectors in any basis for the vector space. This number is independent of which basis is selected. The vector space of three-dimensional space has dimension three (surprise, surprise). However, not all vector spaces have a finite dimension. If you think of the vector space consisting of polynomials with real number coefficients, bases have a countably infinite number of elements. It is easy to construct and infinite basis here; the standard basis is the infinite collection of polynomials 1, x, x2, x3, . . . xn, . . .

God also is infinite dimensional, very likely even of uncountable dimension! There is no way to escape God's presence! If we think of God as an infinite-dimensional being, we can extend the concepts from the book Flatland* to understand a little of the nature of Christ's post-ressurrection body. In that book, creatures in a higher-dimensional space are able to enter and exit lower-dimensional spaces easily. The image to think about is a sphere crossing a particular fixed plane. If the sphere is outside the plane, it cannot be seen by objects living only in the plane. But if the sphere crosses the plane, it will appear as a point or an expanding/contracting circle. In the same way, if we think of Christ living in a higher dimension, his sudden appearance in a locked room makes a little more sense. Broadening the concept of dimension is certainly helpful in this sense.

*You can read Flatland online at http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/flatland/.

In the Eigenspace of Christ

2 Corin 3:7-18

The eigenspace of an eigenvalue l is the collection of all vectors u that are mapped to lu under the action of a fixed matrix. It is important to note that u choices exclude the zero vector because the zero vector always is mapped to itself under this type of transformation. On our own, we are like the zero vector because no matter what we try, we cannot move away from out sinful status. However, through the grace of Christ, we are transformed from being a zero vector to the eigenspace of the redeemed (the likeness of Christ).

What is your Eigen?

Rom. 1:8-10

"Eigen" is a cool word, much more fun the the English version "character." Finding an eigenvalue sounds so much more exotic that finding a characteristic value. But, it is still true that the value you find represents in an important way the action of linear transformation given by a matrix. The character/eigen of the matrix is important in applications like least-squares solutions and differential equations. In a way, knowing the eigen of a matrix is a way of completely characterizing what the matrix is able to do.

So how do you determine the "eigen" of a person? The eigen of a person is evident in the actions that the person does--others should be able to classify your eigen through daily interactions with you in routine settings. A demonstration of a Christ-like eigen is essential to spreading the good news of salvation. Paul writes to the Christians in Rome that he will "give thanks . . your character (eigen) is reported around the world." Let's do the same today!

Our Inconsistent System

Rom 3:21-24

Least-squares solutions techniques are used when a system has no actual solution; that is, the situation where a system is inconsistent. In this case, we find an object that is the closest to being a solution among all possibilities. This object minimizes the value of the distance between the transformation of the object and the impossible result.

In our lives we must solve an impossible problem--we must perfectly meet the entire law of God if we are to have eternal life. No matter how hard we try, we are unable to do this. Fortunately, God loves us so much that he sent his Son Jesus to solve the problem for us. Christ took upon himself our sin and gave his life so that we might live. Jesus is our least-squares solution to the impossible problem. Note, though, that the distance between us and the law of God is infinite; through salvation in Christ, God accepts us as if the error is zero!

Project Overview

Devotionals connected to mathematical content

Single-variable Calculus | Multivariable Calculus | Discrete Structures
Linear Algebra | Differential Equations | Statistics

skr--Spring 2003

Robbert Profile
Math Triathlon
Christianity & Mathematics
Vita

Mathematics | Sharon Robbert | Triathlon | Christianity & Mathematics | Vita

Well, I didn't quite get it right. Cronkite first said that he wanted Goerge and all of his listeners to know this, and then referred to Hoagland's "hocus pocus nonsense", his "babbling about Mars", that he wished he hadn't been led astray by Hoagland, that Hoagland probably qualified for medical treatment under the CBS insurance plan, and he was glad to be away from him. Cronkite alluded to this all being a joke, but it was no joke. He never said one nice thing. I think Cronkite had been waiting for this for a very long time. His work with Cronkite is one of Hoaglands most prized claims. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HOAGLAND EXPOSED

This was too good to pass up. Please defer any comments to the thread
Cronkite on Hoagland

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Okay, wait. Is that whole time cube thing about four corners of the Earth and four days blah blah. Is that it??

I recommend against trying to understand it. You're liable to get dumber.

That Time Cube thing is a hoot! :rofl:

How about that crackpot Darwin and his Theory of Evolution! :uhh: I mean that one's okay right? :smile:

My favorite one is the Giza Powerplant. However, I'm not prepared to call him a crackpot. This guy did some great research and I'm not convinced that he hasn't stumbled on to something plausible.

Chris Dunn's Website

:uhh: I just wait quietly now for the flaming to start. :uhh:

Artman said:
My favorite one is the Giza Powerplant. However, I'm not prepared to call him a crackpot. This guy did some great research and I'm not convinced that he hasn't stumbled on to something plausible.

Chris Dunn's Website

:uhh: I just wait quietly now for the flaming to start. :uhh:

His website won't work for me. Could anyone give me the basic gist of his theory?

matthyaouw said:
His website won't work for me. Could anyone give me the basic gist of his theory?
He is a construction technician. He went to Egypt and was told how the pyramids were constructed. He looked at the results and said no way. He was troubled about how they drilled holes in granite using wood and copper tools, how they hollowed blocks of granite producing finishes that can barely be produced today using modern machinery.

So he began to look at the pyramids themself. He believes they channel the resonant vibration of the Earth to the King's chamber where the granite blocks produce a piezo effect and produce an electrical charge. He contends that the Queen's chamber was a storage battery created by mixing two chemicals fed through those two diagonal shafts.

His theory explains some of the most mysterious enigmas in the structure.

Like I said, it may be wrong, but it sounds plausible.

Artman said:
He is a construction technician. He went to Egypt and was told how the pyramids were constructed. He looked at the results and said no way. He was troubled about how they drilled holes in granite using wood and copper tools, how they hollowed blocks of granite producing finishes that can barely be produced today using modern machinery.

So he began to look at the pyramids themself. He believes they channel the resonant vibration of the Earth to the King's chamber where the granite blocks produce a piezo effect and produce an electrical charge. He contends that the Queen's chamber was a storage battery created by mixing two chemicals fed through those two diagonal shafts.

His theory explains some of the most mysterious enigmas in the structure.

Like I said, it may be wrong, but it sounds plausible.
i don't think so... the pyramids weren't built using granite(igneous rock) that were builts using Limestone(sedimentary rock) less durable but extremely lighter than granite, and to my knowledge there is no granite anywhere near egypt unless you dig into the Earth's mantle layer, or head out to the hymalayas or something... unless i am wrong

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
i don't think so... the pyramids weren't built using granite(igneous rock) that were builts using Limestone(sedimentary rock) less durable but extremely lighter than granite, and to my knowledge there is no granite anywhere near egypt unless you dig into the Earth's mantle layer, or head out to the hymalayas or something... unless i am wrong
The King's chamber is granite blocks (the heaviest weighs 80 tons.) The blocks used in the bulk of the construction were limestone, varying in weight but averaging about 2.5 tons.

The Great Pyramid of Khufu

The heaviest blocks are the granite blocks used to roof the kings chambers and the weight relieving chambers above the king’s chamber. These are estimated to weigh from 50 to 80 tons each!

He also brings up an interesting point. he says that Egyptologists claim that the Pyramids were burial chambers for the kings, he disputes this use by pointing out there has never been a dead body found in an Egyptian Pyramid.

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
and to my knowledge there is no granite anywhere near egypt unless you dig into the Earth's mantle layer, or head out to the hymalayas or something... unless i am wrong

I'm certain that there is granite much much closer than you imply, although quite where I couldn't say. The egyptians were known to carry rocks huge distances for construction of monuments etc.

artman said:
He also brings up an interesting point. he says that Egyptologists claim that the Pyramids were burial chambers for the kings, he disputes this use by pointing out there has never been a dead body found in an Egyptian Pyramid.

I thought bodies had been recovered from pyramids other than the great pyramid, where it had been thought that all the chambers found so far were decoy chambers, and the true one remained closed off still