Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M

In summary, there is a perturbative approach similar to Fermi's Golden rule for calculating energy transfer between modes in a system described by the wave equation. This approach is outlined in R. Glauber's Quantum Theory of Light and is based on the Maxwell equations, taking into account the time-dependent nature of the wave equation.
Iforgot
With out having to use the Dirac equation for a photon, is there any formalism similar to Fermi's golden rule, except for the E&M wave equation derived from Maxwells' Equations?

I have a simple system whose wave equation solutions can be nicely expressed in terms of an eigenfunction expansion. I want calculate how much energy in one mode is transferred to another mode by the introduction of perturbation.

My attempts to implement the derivation of the Golden on the wave equation haven't been too successful b/c the wave equation is 2nd order in time. I might have to use a more rigorous perturbation method than the one used to derive Fermi's Golden rule.

But before I do, I'm pretty sure some one tackled this problem before. Any one know who?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or where I can find out?The closest thing to Fermi's Golden rule for the wave equation that I have found is the Quantum Theory of Light by R. Glauber. In this book, Glauber develops a perturbative approach to calculate the transition rate between two energy eigenstates using the Maxwell equations. The approach is closely related to the Golden rule, but extended to account for the time-dependent nature of the wave equation.

1. What is Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M?

Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the transition rate between energy eigenstates in a quantum system. It is used to calculate the probability of a quantum system transitioning from an initial state to a final state due to the presence of an electromagnetic perturbation.

2. How is Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M derived?

Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M is derived from the time-dependent perturbation theory in quantum mechanics. It involves using a perturbation Hamiltonian to calculate the transition matrix elements between energy eigenstates, which can then be used to determine the transition rate.

3. What is the significance of Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M in quantum mechanics?

Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M is significant because it allows us to understand the dynamics of quantum systems in the presence of electromagnetic fields. It is used in a variety of applications, such as in the study of atomic and molecular transitions, as well as in the design of quantum technologies.

4. Can Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M can be applied to all quantum systems, as long as they are in a well-defined quantum state and are subject to an electromagnetic perturbation. It is a fundamental principle that is applicable to a wide range of physical systems.

5. How is Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M related to the uncertainty principle?

Fermi's Golden Rule for E&M is related to the uncertainty principle in that it involves a trade-off between the accuracy of the energy measurement and the duration of the measurement. This is because the transition rate calculated using Fermi's Golden Rule depends on the energy uncertainty of the initial and final states. A more precise energy measurement results in a larger uncertainty in the duration of the transition.