Uncovering the Connection: Feynman's Insight on the Gaussian Integral and Pi

In summary, the conversation is about the connection between the integral of a Gaussian function and pi, and specifically, the mention of this connection by physicist Richard Feynman. The conversation includes a mention of Feynman's explanation of the connection in his lectures on physics, as well as a proof of the connection using polar coordinates.
ibmichuco
Hi all,

This is just wild shot, since my memory is not what it used to be ...
I remembered reading about Feynman pointing out an interesting
fact, that the integration of the gaussian function

\int_-\infty^\infty e^(-x x) dx = \sqrt[\pi]

has to do with Pi. He then went on to show the connection. I
couldn't find out if this is in one of his Lecture books or his
autobiography. I could find out where he mentioned the
connection between exp and trig functions, but that was as far
as I could go.

I am not even sure that it was Feynman.

Any idea? Thanks in advance,

Michuco

Ps. google feynman and integral leads, no surpise, to many
links that have to do with his path integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is true, but this was known for a long time before Feynman. It can be shown like this:

Multiply two such gaussian integrals together. Combine them into one two-dimesional integral. Change to polar coordinates. Then both the angular and radial parts are easy to calculate. The result of this is pi. Since it was the square of the original integral, the answer is sqrt(pi).

Torquil

I believe this is what you're talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

The integral of a Gaussian is sqrt(pi). The computation is explained in that article also.

Thanks for the replies. I know of the polar coord conversion proof which I asume that wiki took from Weinsstein's MathWorld. I was wondering about the Feynman connection, if there
was one.

Regards,

Michuco

See The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol I, section 40-4, "The distribution of molecular speeds," unnumbered equation between Eqs. (40.7) and (40.8).

Thanks codelieb,

This is exactly what I was looking for ...

Michuco

You're welcome.

1. What is the Feynman integral?

The Feynman integral, also known as the path integral, is a mathematical formulation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one position to another over a given time period.

2. Who was Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman was an American theoretical physicist known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and particle physics. He received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for his work in quantum electrodynamics.

3. What is the significance of the Feynman integral in physics?

The Feynman integral is a fundamental tool in theoretical physics, specifically in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. It allows for the calculation of probabilities and amplitudes of particle interactions, and has been used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

4. What is the Gauss integral?

The Gauss integral, also known as the Gaussian integral, is a mathematical integral used to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and statistics. It is defined as the integral of the function e^(-x^2) from -∞ to ∞ and has many applications in probability theory and statistical mechanics.

5. Who was Carl Friedrich Gauss?

Carl Friedrich Gauss was a German mathematician, physicist, and astronomer who made significant contributions to many areas of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and statistics. He is considered one of the greatest mathematicians of all time and is known for his work on the fundamental theorem of algebra, the normal distribution, and the method of least squares.