Feynman:"Laws of Dynamics" vs "Law of Dynamics"

• Thread starter Odious Suspect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, in The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol-I, Chapter 9, section 9.5, Feynman discusses "the law of dynamics" in singular form, which is equivalent to Newton's Second Law ##F=\frac{dmv}{dt}##. This inconsistent usage may be seen as an artistic nuance, providing insight into the workings of Feynman's mind. The purpose of this section is to explain the significance of equation 9.12 and the relationship between force and acceleration in displacement, which is only found in the second law.
Odious Suspect
This is an observation, not a criticism. I noticed that in The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol-I, Chapter 9
Newton's Laws of Dynamics in section 9.5 he speaks of "the law of dynamics" in the singular

"That is where the law of dynamics comes in. The law of dynamics tells us what the acceleration is."

It's clear from the grammatical context that this is no mere typo. He is specifically intending Newton's Second Law, ##F=\frac{dmv}{dt}##. The terminology ingrained in my mind for Newton's three laws is "Newton's Laws of Motion" (which Feynman offers as an alternative).

If I wanted to be exceedingly pedantic, I could say that his inconsistent usage is in error by the very fact that it is inconsistent. I prefer to look upon it as an artistic nuance giving us insight into the workings of his mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought section 9.5 was to explain what eqn 9.12 signifies and the relation of force and thus acceleration with the displacement! well you only find that one in second law. I mean Newton's second law is sort of like the one with the that kind of relation. I think! :confused:

1. What is the difference between "Feynman: Laws of Dynamics" and "Law of Dynamics"?

"Feynman: Laws of Dynamics" refers to the three laws of motion developed by physicist Richard Feynman, which are a more detailed and modernized version of Isaac Newton's "Law of Dynamics". The laws are: 1) objects at rest will remain at rest and objects in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force, 2) the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. Why are Feynman's laws of dynamics considered an improvement over Newton's law of dynamics?

Feynman's laws of dynamics are considered an improvement over Newton's law because they take into account more detailed and nuanced aspects of motion, such as the concept of inertia and the relationship between force and acceleration. Additionally, Feynman's laws are more applicable to modern physics and can be used to explain phenomena that Newton's laws cannot.

3. How do Feynman's laws of dynamics relate to quantum mechanics?

Feynman's laws of dynamics were developed based on classical mechanics, which is the study of motion at a macroscopic scale. However, they can also be applied to quantum mechanics, which is the study of motion at a microscopic scale. Feynman's laws provide a framework for understanding how particles behave and interact at the quantum level.

4. Can Feynman's laws of dynamics be applied to all types of motion?

Feynman's laws of dynamics can be applied to most types of motion, including linear motion, rotational motion, and oscillatory motion. However, they may break down in extreme cases, such as at very high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. How have Feynman's laws of dynamics impacted the field of physics?

Feynman's laws of dynamics have had a significant impact on the field of physics. They have helped to improve our understanding of motion and have been applied to a wide range of fields, including astrophysics, engineering, and even biology. They have also influenced the development of new theories, such as quantum field theory, which combines Feynman's laws with quantum mechanics.