1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman or Serway ?

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    Is Feynman lectures on physics suitable for beginning physics (learn basics of physics)
    OR physics for scientists and engineers (Serway) ?
    i want to learn basics most powerful
    thx

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How much mathematics do you know?

4. May 8, 2009 #3
    i know basic calculus and differential eqs
    and partial DE
    some special fns
    and little functional analysis

5. May 8, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In that case, I recommend Feynman.

6. May 8, 2009 #5
    thank you very much for your help
    hoping other members to give me their opinions

7. May 8, 2009 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many people refer to the The Feynman lectures as "physics for physicists" and I think I have to agree. Reading the lectures is an excellent way of brushing up on a certain area or getting a different perspective but I wouldn't recommend it as your ONLY book.
    Part of the problem is simply that they are too brief; the lectures are quite short meaning they cover an enormous amount of physics in each chapter, there is simply not enough space to go into any details; most books on e.g. basic E&M are longer than one volume of the lectures.

My advice would to initially focus on one (or maybe two) area of physics (say basic mechanics) and then buy a good book that cover ONLY that area.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. May 13, 2009 #7

j93

Serway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook