Fiber Optic PPR biochemicals detection sensor

In summary, the conversation is about a journal article on the integration of a fiber optic-particle plasmon resonance biosensor with a microfluidic chip. The speaker had a question about the meaning of "n=500" in the section on preparation of AuNP and was unable to find an answer through Google. They have also attached the PDF, but it has been removed due to potential copyright issues. The expert summarizer explains that "n=500" refers to the number of nanoparticles used for size analysis.
Nithya
I was reading this journal on FO-PPR sensor and had a doubt. Couldn't exactly google for an answer as it was unclear.
"Integration of fiber optic-particle plasmon resonance biosensor with microfluidic
chip" by a group of scientists.
I have attached the pdf.
Under the section "Preparation of AuNP" , it had (n=500) written in the end. I couldn't figure out what it meant .
I will appreciate it , if you clear my doubt .

Edit by Borek: pdf removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nithya said:
Under the section "Preparation of AuNP" , it had (n=500) written in the end. I couldn't figure out what it meant

Number of nanoparticles used for size analysis.

I am deleting the attachment, posting it here almost for sure breaks copyright.

Thanks Borek.

1. What is a fiber optic PPR biochemicals detection sensor?

A fiber optic PPR biochemicals detection sensor is a type of sensor that uses fiber optic technology to detect and measure various biochemicals in a sample. It works by transmitting light through a fiber optic cable, which is then reflected back and measured to determine the presence and concentration of specific biochemicals.

2. How does a fiber optic PPR biochemicals detection sensor work?

The sensor works by utilizing a PPR (Phase Preserved Reflectometry) technique, which involves sending light pulses through a fiber optic cable. When these pulses encounter different types of biochemicals in a sample, they are reflected back at different wavelengths. By measuring these wavelengths, the sensor can determine the presence and concentration of specific biochemicals.

3. What types of biochemicals can be detected with a fiber optic PPR sensor?

A fiber optic PPR biochemicals detection sensor can detect a wide range of biochemicals, including hormones, proteins, nucleic acids, and other biomarkers. The specific biochemicals that can be detected depend on the sensor's design and the types of probes used.

4. What are the advantages of using a fiber optic PPR biochemicals detection sensor?

Compared to other biochemical detection methods, a fiber optic PPR sensor offers several advantages. It is highly sensitive, can detect multiple biochemicals simultaneously, and requires smaller sample volumes. Additionally, it is non-invasive and can be used in real-time, making it useful for various applications in medical and environmental research.

5. How is a fiber optic PPR biochemicals detection sensor calibrated?

The sensor is calibrated by using known concentrations of the biochemicals it is designed to detect. These concentrations are measured and compared to the sensor's readings, allowing for the calibration of the sensor's response to different concentrations. Regular calibration is essential to ensure accurate and reliable measurements.