Calculating Field Direction and Magnitude for Levitating Copper Wire

In summary, to find the field direction and magnitude of a horizontal copper wire with a current moving East, use the formula F=ILXB=mg. The length of the wire is 1.0m, diameter is .10cm, and current is 50 A. The wire is being levitated. The formula breaks down to F = I (current) x L (length of wire) x B (magnetic field). To find the force, plug in the values for current and length, and then use the formula for B=mg to find the magnetic field. The mass (m) of the wire can be calculated using the density of copper and the volume of the wire.
g.gnunu
how do i find the field direction and magnitude of a horizontal copper wire with a current moving East. length is 1.0m, diameter is .10cm, current is 50 A. the wire is being levitated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use F=ILXB=mg.

field direction and magntiude

could you polease expand on the formula. what numbers do i plug in for mg?

m - mass of the wire
g - 9.81N/Kg. The force which a 1Kg mass exerts due to gravity.

g.gnunu said:
could you polease expand on the formula. what numbers do i plug in for mg?
The important thing isn't knowing which numbers to plug in where, it's understanding the principles behind the equation and where the equation comes from. Do you understand where the equation comes from?

Last edited:
how do i set up the formula to get the answer?

1. What is field direction?

Field direction refers to the orientation or path of a field, such as an electric field or a magnetic field. It is typically represented by arrows or lines in a specific direction.

2. How is field direction determined?

The direction of a field is determined by the direction of the force experienced by a test charge or a test magnet placed in the field. The direction of the force is perpendicular to the field lines or arrows.

3. What is the difference between field direction and field magnitude?

Field direction and field magnitude are two different properties of a field. Field direction refers to the orientation or path of the field, while field magnitude refers to the strength or intensity of the field.

4. Is field direction constant throughout a field?

No, field direction can vary throughout a field. In some cases, the field direction may be uniform, meaning it is the same at all points within the field. In other cases, the field direction may change based on the location or properties of the sources creating the field.

5. How is field magnitude measured?

The unit for measuring field magnitude depends on the type of field. For electric fields, the unit is volts per meter (V/m), and for magnetic fields, the unit is teslas (T). Field magnitude can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a voltmeter or a magnetometer.