1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field due to ring of charge

1. Jul 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform circular ring of charge Q=4.20 microCoulombs and radius R=1.30 cm is located in the x-y plane, centered on the origin as shown in the figure.

What is the magnitude of the electric field E at point P, located at z=3.70 cm?

I have worked out the problem and got the following formula which I know is correct but when I enter in my numbers it doesn't seem to give me the correct answer, so I'm wondering what I am doing wrong (see below)

E_z = (kQx)/((x^2+R^2)^(3/2))

where k=9x10^9, Q = 4.2*10^-6, x= 0.0130, and R = 0.0370.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked out the problem and got the following formula which I know is correct but when I enter in my numbers it doesn't seem to give me the correct answer, so I'm wondering what I am doing wrong (see below)

E_z = (kQx)/((x^2+R^2)^(3/2))

where k=9x10^9, Q = 4.2*10^-6, x= 0.0130, and z = 0.0370.

So what am I doing wrong? are my numbers above correct? fuck.jpg fuck.jpg

2.316×10^7 N/C

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2017 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Looks like you swapped constants. This could be avoided if you restated the equation as

E_z = (kQz)/((z^2+R^2)^(3/2))

R = .0130 m
    z = .0370 m

4. Jul 2, 2017 #3

thanks that fixed my problem!

(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted