Figuring out how a Relay circuit functions

In summary, the relay switches the LED on the top when the push button is pressed, but when the relay is removed from the circuit, both LEDs light up. The current still travels across both LEDS when the relay is still part of the circuit, but when the relay is plucked off the circuit, only the LED on the top lights up.
fulmenatrum
I'm trying to figure out how a relay functions in a circuit and I'm having trouble figuring why it has the effect it does in a circuit. I set up a simple circuit (see picture) using a 5 pin [ouaz-ss 105D] relay where the LED on the bottom lights up while the push button is not pressed. When the push button is pressed, the relay switches over to the LED on the top.

Now, I understand how a relay works for the most part (I drew a schematic of the circuit I made but PLEASE correct me if there are any mistakes in my diagram) but here's my dilemma. When I remove the relay from my circuit (physically pluck it off the circuit board), both LEDS light up. As you can see in my schematic, the relay seems to be in parallel with the two LEDS which leads me to the following question:

Why wouldn't the current still travel across both LEDS when the relay is still part of the circuit and light up both LEDS? Shouldn't current travel across both branches (through both 1KΩ resistors and then the LEDS) in this parallel circuit? Is there something significant about having one of these branches grounded (via the relay) which stops the flow of current through the other branch?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

• relay circuit.jpg
    relay circuit.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 546
  • relay schematic.jpg
    relay schematic.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 613
Engineering news on Phys.org
fulmenatrum said:
I'm trying to figure out how a relay functions in a circuit and I'm having trouble figuring why it has the effect it does in a circuit. I set up a simple circuit (see picture) using a 5 pin [ouaz-ss 105D] relay where the LED on the bottom lights up while the push button is not pressed. When the push button is pressed, the relay switches over to the LED on the top.
So it is performing all that, or not?
Now, I understand how a relay works for the most part (I drew a schematic of the circuit I made but PLEASE correct me if there are any mistakes in my diagram) but here's my dilemma. When I remove the relay from my circuit (physically pluck it off the circuit board), both LEDS light up.
Which LED shows reduced brightness?

How many ohms is your relay coil?

I am going to assume that the common terminal on the set of contacts on your relay is hooked to the negative side of the 5 volt source that powers the LEDs. I cannot really know for sure. You are going about it the wrong way in my opinion. Fully understand how the circuit works without the relay first. Both LEDs should light up. I would expect that. When the relay is put in, one of the LEDs will always be shorted out. Current flows through something, not across it. Get to know ohms law and kirchoff. If you understand those, your circuit will make sense.

Okay, I went back and reviewed how relays are wired and I realized that I had incorrectly wired my circuit. The LEDS should not have been grounded but rather should have been in series with the relay via the NC and NO contacts. Thanks for bringing up the common terminal because that part was what ended up confusing me the most.

Also, now when I pluck the relay off the breadboard, none of the LEDs light up. Just the way it should be.

Thank you very much for all your help.

I can understand your confusion about the way a relay functions in a circuit. A relay is an electromechanical switch that uses an electromagnet to control the flow of current in a circuit. When the push button is not pressed, the relay is in its default state and the LED on the bottom lights up. When the push button is pressed, the relay switches over and the LED on the top lights up instead.

Now, let's address your dilemma. When you physically remove the relay from the circuit, both LEDs light up. This is because without the relay, the circuit is incomplete and the current can flow freely through both branches, lighting up both LEDs. However, when the relay is in place, it acts as a switch and controls the flow of current. When the relay is in its default state, it is essentially an open switch, and the current can only flow through the bottom LED. When the relay is switched over, it becomes a closed switch and the current can only flow through the top LED.

In your schematic, the relay is indeed in parallel with the two LEDs. However, the relay is not directly connected to the LEDs. It is connected to the 5V power supply and the ground, and acts as a controller for the LEDs. When the relay is in its default state, the bottom LED is connected to the ground through the relay, allowing the current to flow and light up the LED. When the relay is switched over, the top LED is connected to the ground through the relay, while the bottom LED is disconnected from the ground, thus turning off.

In summary, the relay acts as a switch in the circuit, controlling the flow of current to the LEDs. It is not directly connected to the LEDs, but it controls the connection of the LEDs to the ground, which determines whether they light up or not. I hope this explanation helps to clear up your confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a relay circuit?

A relay circuit is an electronic switching device that uses an electromechanical switch to control the flow of electricity. It is commonly used in electronic devices to turn on or off power to certain components.

2. How does a relay circuit work?

A relay circuit typically consists of an electromagnet, a movable armature, and a set of contacts. When an electrical signal is sent to the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that attracts the armature, causing it to move and close the contacts, allowing current to flow through the circuit.

3. What are the different types of relays?

There are several types of relays, including electromechanical relays, solid-state relays, thermal relays, and reed relays. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is used for different applications.

4. How do you test a relay circuit?

To test a relay circuit, you can use a multimeter to check the continuity of the contacts and the resistance of the coil. You can also use a power source to apply a voltage to the coil and observe if the contacts open and close properly.

5. What are some common problems with relay circuits?

Some common problems with relay circuits include contact failure, coil failure, and malfunctioning of the control circuit. These issues can be caused by factors such as dust, moisture, or excessive heat, and can be prevented by proper maintenance and troubleshooting techniques.