1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filter circuit

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    Hello I'm a beginner (Second Semester) at Electronics Engineering.

In the attachment is the image of the filter rectifier circuit that I am analyzing. My professor has given us questions and their solutions but for my full wave filter rectifier analysis the numbers are not the same.

The analysis asks me three questions:

VDC, Vr, and ripple %

Formulas I use:

Vrp-p=(VLpeak/RL * period) / C (capacitor value).

VDC = VLpeak - Vrpeaktopeak/2

Vr(rms)=.577* Vrp-p/2

r=Vr(rms)/VDC

My halfwave filter answers are correct and these are the formulas I used.
    But my fullwave/bridge answers go wrong. someone please do this question and see what answer they get.

Attached Files:

• rfc.JPG
      rfc.JPG
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

A half wave and full wave rectifier differ in certain ways. You cant apply all formulas (or same value for period) to both. What value are you using for period, T?

Vrpp = (Vpin * T)/RC

Please so your exact calculations, like for example how you got Vrrms

4. Feb 10, 2007 #3
    Have to remember, in a half wave rectifier the frequency is 60 hz as it chops off the bottom half of each cycle. In a full wave circuit, it translates the bottom cycle to the top to give 120hz peaks.

5. Feb 10, 2007 #4
    EDIT:

Nevermind thanks so much ! i got it. You were right. I was using the wrong T value. Fullwave is 120Hz so i should be using 1/120hz for T.

The numbers add up now. Thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?