Final exam - help- Inverse function Theorem

In summary, using the inverse function theorem, we can obtain an explicit formula for g'(y) as 1/√(1 + y^2).
IntroAnalysis

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = sinh(x) and let g be the inverse function of f. Using inverse function theorem, obtain g'(y) explicitly, a formula in y.

Okay the Inverse function Theorem says (f^-1)'(y) = 1/(f'(x))
If f is continuous on [a, b} and differentiable with f'(x)[itex]\neq[/itex]0 for all x[itex]\in[/itex][a, b]. Then f is 1-1 and f^-1 is continuous and differentiable on f(a,b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivative of f(x) sinh(x) is cosh = (e^x + e^-x)/2

How do I get g'(y) as a formula in y? Right now, I have 2/(e^x + e^-x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
IntroAnalysis said:

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = sinh(x) and let g be the inverse function of f. Using inverse function theorem, obtain g'(y) explicitly, a formula in y.

Okay the Inverse function Theorem says (f^-1)'(y) = 1/(f'(x))
If f is continuous on [a, b} and differentiable with f'(x)[itex]\neq[/itex]0 for all x[itex]\in[/itex][a, b]. Then f is 1-1 and f^-1 is continuous and differentiable on f(a,b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivative of f(x) sinh(x) is cosh = (e^x + e^-x)/2

How do I get g'(y) as a formula in y? Right now, I have 2/(e^x + e^-x)

You have ##\frac 1 {f'(x)} = \frac 1 {\cosh x}##, and you have ##y=\sinh x##. It is almost always a mistake to put in exponentials. Use the basic sinh and cosh identity to express ##\cosh x## in terms of ##y##, given what you have.

Thanks so much, you save me from messing with exponents! Since I know cosh (x) = √(1 + sinh(x)^2 = √1 + y^2 !

1. What is the Inverse Function Theorem?

The Inverse Function Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is differentiable at a point, then its inverse function is also differentiable at the corresponding point. It also provides a formula for calculating the derivative of the inverse function.

2. Why is the Inverse Function Theorem important?

The Inverse Function Theorem is important because it allows us to find the derivative of the inverse function without having to explicitly find the inverse function itself. This makes it a valuable tool in solving problems involving inverse functions, as it simplifies the process and saves time.

3. How do you use the Inverse Function Theorem to find the derivative of an inverse function?

To use the Inverse Function Theorem, you first need to determine if the function is differentiable at a specific point. If it is, then you can use the formula provided by the theorem to calculate the derivative of the inverse function at that point. The formula is as follows: (f^-1)'(x) = 1 / f'(f^-1(x)).

4. Can the Inverse Function Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Inverse Function Theorem can only be applied to functions that are differentiable at a given point. If a function is not differentiable at that point, then the theorem cannot be used to find the derivative of its inverse function.

5. Are there any limitations to the Inverse Function Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Inverse Function Theorem. It only applies to functions that are differentiable at a specific point, and it also assumes that the inverse function exists. If these conditions are not met, then the theorem cannot be applied.