Find a point where f(x,y) = x^2 + 4xy + 3y^2 < 0

• Thread starter Cade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: That is, evaluate the polynomial at that point. Okay, done.In summary, to find a point where f(x,y) = x^2 + 4xy + 3y^2 < 0, we can use the method of completing the square to get the expression f(x,y) = (x+2y)^2 - y^2. By setting x+2y=0 and y is nonzero, we can find a point where the inequality holds true. This process can be simplified by dividing the plane into four regions and checking a single point in each region to see which satisfies the inequality.
Cade

Homework Statement

Find a point where f(x,y) = x^2 + 4xy + 3y^2 < 0

Homework Equations

Turning points are where df/dx = 0 and df/dy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

df = (2x + 4y)dx + (4x + 6y)dy

2x + 2y = 0, 4x + 6y = 0 -> turning point at (0,0)

From this step, how can I find a point (x,y) where f(x,y) is negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try and complete the square? That should make it easy to find a point by just looking at it.

Completing the square gives me
f(x,y) = (x + 2y)^2 - y2

How should I continue?

Last edited:
Cade said:
Completing the square gives me
f(x,y) = (x - 2y)^2 - y2

How should I continue?

Pick a point where x-2y=0 and y is nonzero, right? Except I get (x+2y)^2-y^2.

Edit: Oh whoops, my equation was wrong.

Oh, I see. Thanks for your help. :)

x = 2, y = -1

Cade said:
Oh, I see. Thanks for your help. :)

x = 2, y = 1

I think you got the square completed a bit wrong though, try it again.

Yes, I see that now. I mistakenly wrote the wrong sign.

Rather a strange question if I understand it. Don't points satisfying that inequality fill up an area (I think it is 1/12) of the infinite x,y plane? And you are asked to find only one?

I would factorise the expression, draw lines x^2 + 4xy + 3y^2 = 0 and then see.

Last edited:
I was only asked to find a single point. This question came up out of context, so I didn't know how to attempt it.

[itex](x+ 2y)^2- y^2= 0[/itex] when [itex]y= x+ 2y[/itex] or [itex]y= -(x+ 2y)[/itex] which reduce to [itex]y= -x[/itex] and [itex]3y= -x[/itex], two lines that intersect at (0,0). They divide the plane into four regions. Since the given function is a polynomial in x and y, it can only change from ">" to "<", and vice-versa, where we have "=". That is, if a single point in one of those four regions gives ">" then all do. Check one point in each region to see which is true for that region.

1. What is the purpose of finding a point where f(x,y) is less than 0?

The purpose of finding a point where f(x,y) is less than 0 is to identify the region in which the function is negative. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and its relationship to the variables x and y.

2. How do I solve for a point where f(x,y) is less than 0?

The first step in solving for a point where f(x,y) is less than 0 is to set up the equation x^2 + 4xy + 3y^2 = 0. Next, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula to solve for the values of x and y that make the function less than 0.

3. What is the significance of finding multiple points where f(x,y) is less than 0?

Finding multiple points where f(x,y) is less than 0 can provide insight into the shape of the function and the curvature of the surface. It can also help in determining the minimum or maximum values of the function.

4. Are there any limitations to finding a point where f(x,y) is less than 0?

There may be limitations to finding a point where f(x,y) is less than 0, depending on the complexity of the function. Some equations may not have real solutions for x and y, making it impossible to find a point where the function is negative.

5. Can I use a graphing calculator to find a point where f(x,y) is less than 0?

Yes, a graphing calculator can be a helpful tool in finding a point where f(x,y) is less than 0. You can graph the function and use the trace or zoom features to identify the coordinates of the points where the function is negative.