Find Absolute Max/Min of f(x,y)=xy^2 w/ Domain x^2+y^2≤4

• Thread starter der.physika
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absolute
In summary, the general procedure for finding the absolute max and min of a function with a given domain includes finding the partial derivatives with respect to x and y, setting them equal to zero, and using the Hessian matrix to classify critical points. However, in some cases, the extrema may occur at the boundary of the domain, which in this case is a circle of radius 2. To find the extrema on the boundary, one can rewrite the function in terms of the angle and then evaluate it at the points on the boundary. The Hessian matrix may not be necessary in this case, and the extrema can be determined by listing the points in the original function and visually identifying the absolute max and min.
der.physika
Can anyone tell me the general procedure in doing the following procedure?

[tex]f(x,y)=xy^2[/tex] with domain [tex]x^2+y^2\leq4[/tex]

Find it's absolute max & absolute min.

Okay, here is my thought procedure, tell me what I can fix.

So I would basically say, find the partial derivatives with respect to x and y and set them equal to zero.

[tex]f_x=y^2=0[/tex] [tex]f_y=2yx=0[/tex]

so what's up? I plug that into the original equation? and then do the whole matrix thing to find if it's an absolute max or min? so point [tex](x,y)=(0,0)[/tex]

Plug into the matrix [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}f_x_x&f_x_y\\f_x_y&f_y_y\end{array}\right)[/tex]

But I don't know how I would go about considering the [tex]x^2+y^2\leq4[/tex], do I find the boundary point? What are those? [tex](x,y)=(2,0)=(0,2)=(-2,0)=(0,-2)[/tex] and then plug it into the original equation and then use

Plug into the matrix [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}f_x_x&f_x_y\\f_x_y&f_y_y\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Am I on the right track? Can someone show me some guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
You use the Hessian matrix (what you did above) to classify critical points. But the extrema do not have to occur at critical points--they can also occur at the boundary. In this case, the boundary consists of a circle of radius 2. Think about how the function behaves on this circle...maybe rewrite in terms of angle and see what you find.

In addition to what TinyBoss told you, you don't really need the Hessian in this problem. You first locate the critical points in the interior (there are lots of them,no?). Once you figure out the extremes on the boundary, which don't necessarily have to be at the axis intercepts just because you like them, you just list the points in the original function xy2. Then you can eyeball them to see the absolute max and min.

1. What is the definition of absolute maximum and minimum for a function?

The absolute maximum of a function is the highest value that the function takes on over a given domain. The absolute minimum is the lowest value that the function takes on over the same domain.

2. How do you find the absolute maximum and minimum of a function with a given domain?

To find the absolute maximum and minimum of a function with a given domain, you first need to find all critical points within the domain. Then, evaluate the function at each critical point and at the boundary of the domain. The highest and lowest values will be the absolute maximum and minimum, respectively.

3. What is the domain of the function f(x,y)=xy^2 with the given restriction?

The domain of the function is all possible values of x and y that satisfy the given restriction of x^2+y^2≤4. In other words, the domain is a circle with a radius of 2, centered at the origin.

4. Can the absolute maximum or minimum occur at a critical point outside of the given domain?

No, the absolute maximum and minimum can only occur at critical points within the given domain. If a critical point falls outside of the domain, then it is not considered when finding the absolute maximum and minimum.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the absolute maximum and minimum for a function with two variables?

Yes, a common method for finding the absolute maximum and minimum of a function with two variables is the Lagrange Multiplier method. This involves finding the critical points of the function and using Lagrange multipliers to determine which of these points gives the absolute maximum or minimum.