1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find All Automorphisms of Cyclic Group of Order 10

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all the automorphisms of a cyclic group of order 10.

2. Relevant equations

ψ(a)ψ(b)=ψ(ab)

For G= { 1, x, x^2,..., x^9}, and some function

ψ(a) = x^(a/10)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that a homomorphism takes the form

Phi(a)*phi(b) = phi (ab) , and that an automorphism maps from G->G,

However, I don't understand what an automorphism for a cyclic group would even look like. I suppose it should be something of the form:

ψ(a) = x^(a/10)

and that a should be a specific power, but I have no idea where to go from here.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about it. An automorphism has to map a generator of the cyclic group to another generator. How many elements of your cyclic group are generators?

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    I don't have a solid understanding of generators. I understand that you need relatively prime powers to map out all the functions through multiplication. Going by this, I suppose the generators would be 1,3,5,7, & 9, all the odd numbers below 10. For what reason are would these be automorphisms though? Tell me if this is right:

[

If x^n is an automorphism, where n is an individual element of {1,3,5,7,9}, the function works by multiplying each term of G= {1,x,...,x^9} so that

phi(a) = x^n *x*a = x^ (n+a)

It's a homomorphism because:

phi(a) * phi (b) = x^(n+a) * x^(n+b) = x^( 2n+a+b)
    and phi(ab) = x^(n + a +b) (I know 2n+a+b ≠ n+a+b, but it's the best I can come up with)

Then the function is bijective because if
    phi(x) = x^n, phi(x)^-1 = x^-n or x^(10-x) because of the cyclic nature

Because it maps from G->G, it is homomorphic, and has an inverse, it is bijective automorphism for the cyclic group of order 10.

]

Am I at least heading in the right direction with this?

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would look at it this way. x is a generator because powers of x give you all of the elements of G. x^3 is also a generator. Take all of the powers of x^3 and show you can get every element of G as a power of x^3. E.g. x^7=(x^3)^9. And yes, the reason is because 10 and 3 are relatively prime. If you are uncomfortable with the notion of generators, you should verify this by writing out all of the powers. That means if you define phi(x)=x^3 you get an automorphism. If g is ANY generator and you define phi(x)=g, you get an automorphism. BTW x^5 is NOT a generator. Why not?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?