Find area contained by the curve

• Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary, the area contained by the curve and the x axis, represented by the equation y = (2x-7)(x+4), can be found by setting up a definite integral and integrating the equation. After substituting values, the final area value will be positive, as the region lies beneath the x-axis.
andrey21
FInd the area contained by the curve and the x axis
y = (2x-7)(x+4)

Homework Equations

I don't know really where to start all I have done is multiply out the brackets like so
y = 2x^(2) + x - 28

Will the curve cross the x-axis at x = -4 and x = 7/2 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamiey1988 said:
FInd the area contained by the curve and the x axis
y = (2x-7)(x+4)

Homework Equations

I don't know really where to start all I have done is multiply out the brackets like so
y = 2x^(2) + x - 28

Will the curve cross the x-axis at x = -4 and x = 7/2 ??
Yes, of course. Since you are supposed to find the area between this curve and the x axis, you will need to set up a definite integral.

Ok so i set up the definite integral:

Next I integrated the equation to give me:

2/3 x^(3) +x^(2)/2 -28x

I then subst in values and gave me a final value of:
-140 5/8

Is this correct? Sorry bad formatting on integration

For what you did, that answer is correct, but what you did isn't correct. The area should never be negative. The region whose area you are finding lies beneath the x-axis, so the area of your typical area element is (0 - (2x2 + x - 28))[itex]\Delta x[/itex].

Ah I see but it will just come out with the same answer but positive if I adopt the method u suggest?

Yes.

1. What is the concept of finding the area contained by a curve?

The concept of finding the area contained by a curve involves calculating the total space within a curve or a set of curves on a graph. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as integration or by breaking the area into smaller, simpler shapes and adding them together.

2. How is the area contained by a curve calculated?

The area contained by a curve can be calculated using various mathematical methods such as integration, which involves finding the definite integral of the curve's equation with respect to the x-axis. Other methods include using geometric formulas for specific shapes within the curve, or approximating the area using numerical methods.

3. What are some real-life applications of finding the area contained by a curve?

Finding the area contained by a curve has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, engineers use this concept to calculate the area of a bridge's arch, physicists use it to determine the work done by a varying force, and economists use it to analyze demand and supply curves.

4. Are there any limitations to finding the area contained by a curve?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the area contained by a curve. One limitation is that the curve must have a continuous and defined equation. Another limitation is that the curve must be bounded by two points on the x-axis, otherwise the area is infinite. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated area depends on the precision of the mathematical method used.

5. Can the area contained by a curve be negative?

Yes, the area contained by a curve can be negative. This occurs when the curve intersects the x-axis at points where the function value is negative. In this case, the area below the x-axis is subtracted from the area above the x-axis, resulting in a negative value. However, in most mathematical applications, the absolute value of the area is used to represent the magnitude of the area contained by a curve.