Find area of region (double integral)

In summary, SammyS attempted to solve for the area of a region bounded by x^2 + y^2 = 4above y=1, but made an error when integrating limits. His limits were (1/sinθ)≤r≤2 and (∏/6)≤θ≤(∏/2). After rewriting the double integrals and transforming to polar coordinates, he found that the inner integral was 2θ + (1/2)cotθ. Applying the limits, he got ∏ which is incorrect. He has some doubts about his method.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find area of region bounded by
[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/tex]above y=1

The attempt at a solution

OK, so i drew the graph.
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111226/oR99IdxJ.jpg
The red part of the graph is the area that i need to find.

Put y = 1 in the equation of circle;
x^2 = 3
x = -√3 and +√3

Now, from what i understood from struggling with this problem, i must always describe the region area in the following way:

For x fixed, x varies between -√3 to √3
Then, y varies between 1 and √(4 - x^2)

Since this problem is found at the end of the section, "Double Integrals - Polar Coordinates", I'm going to transform to polar coordinates, instead of solving it directly:

x^2 +y^2 = 4
r^2 = 4
r = -2 or +2

Considering r= +2, since the graph is symmetric about the y-axis, i will evaluate the area of the positive half found in the first quadrant and then later when i get the answer, i will multiply the latter by 2 to get the final answer.

θ varies between 0 and ∏/2

So, rewriting the double integrals:
[tex]\int\int dydx = \int\int rdrd\theta[/tex]
And using the following limits:

For r:
y = 1
rsinθ=1
So,r = 1/sinθ

(1/sinθ)≤r≤2 and 0≤θ≤(∏/2)

For the inner integral, i get the answer:
2 - 1/[2sin^2(θ)]
which i integrate again w.r.t.θ
2θ + (1/2)cotθ
Applying the limits, i get:

which is incorrect. I don't know where i made the mistake/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:
Homework Statement
Find area of region bounded by
[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/tex]above y=1

The attempt at a solution

OK, so i drew the graph.
http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111226/oR99IdxJ.jpg
The red part of the graph is the area that i need to find.

Put y = 1 in the equation of circle;
x^2 = 3
x = -√3 and +√3

Now, from what i understood from struggling with this problem, i must always describe the region area in the following way:

For x fixed, x varies between -√3 to √3
Then, y varies between 1 and √(4 - x^2)

Since this problem is found at the end of the section, "Double Integrals - Polar Coordinates", I'm going to transform to polar coordinates, instead of solving it directly:

x^2 +y^2 = 4
r^2 = 4
r = -2 or +2

Considering r= +2, since the graph is symmetric about the y-axis, i will evaluate the area of the positive half found in the first quadrant and then later when i get the answer, i will multiply the latter by 2 to get the final answer.

θ varies between 0 and ∏/2

So, rewriting the double integrals:
[tex]\int\int dydx = \int\int rdrd\theta[/tex]
And using the following limits:

For r:
y = 1
rsinθ=1
So,r = 1/sinθ

(1/sinθ)≤r≤2 and 0≤θ≤(∏/2)

For the inner integral, i get the answer:
2 - 1/[2sin^2(θ)]
which i integrate again w.r.t.θ
2θ + (1/2)cotθ
Applying the limits, i get:

which is incorrect. I don't know where i made the mistake/s.
Your integration limits for θ are incorrect. Look at your figure.

OK, so now I'm using the limits:
(1/sinθ)≤r≤2 and (∏/6)≤θ≤(∏/2)

I get the answer: 2∏/3 - √3/2

To get the whole area, by symmetry, multiply by 2:

The final answer: 4∏/3 - √3 (correct!)

However, i have some doubts about the method:

1. Could i also have used y as fixed, instead of x, to find the area? Just wondering. As in evaluating the area (not through polar coordinates) I've used both methods.

2. Are these 2 expressions equivalent?
[tex]dydx = rdrd\theta[/tex]
[tex]dxdy = rdrd\theta[/tex]
In my notes, they are not used in any specific order, so I'm wondering, however i checked in a calculus book and it states:
[tex]dxdy = rdrd\theta[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, dxdy = dydx .

But as you've learned recently, the limits of integration need to be changed to make sure that you integrate over the correct region in both cases.

BTW: rdrdθ = rdθdr .

OK, thanks SammyS.

1. What is the concept of double integration in finding the area of a region?

Double integration is a mathematical process that involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region on a coordinate plane. In the context of finding the area of a region, it is used to calculate the total area under a two-dimensional curve or surface within a defined boundary. This process involves taking the integral of the function with respect to one variable and then integrating the resulting expression with respect to the other variable.

2. How is double integration different from single integration?

Single integration involves calculating the area under a one-dimensional curve on a coordinate plane, while double integration deals with finding the area under a two-dimensional curve or surface within a specific region. In single integration, the area is calculated with respect to one variable, whereas in double integration, it is calculated with respect to two variables.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a double integral to find the area of a region?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration for both variables by setting up the boundaries of the region on the coordinate plane. Next, the function must be expressed in terms of the two variables. Then, the integral of the function with respect to one variable is calculated and the resulting expression is integrated with respect to the other variable. Finally, the limits of integration must be substituted into the double integral and the result is the area of the region.

4. Can double integration be used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region?

Yes, double integration can also be used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region. In this case, the function being integrated represents the height of the region at a specific point on the coordinate plane, and the resulting integral is multiplied by the width or length of the region to find the total volume.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when using double integration to find the area of a region?

Yes, there are some special cases where double integration may not work or may require additional steps. For example, when the region has curved boundaries, the double integral may need to be converted to polar coordinates in order to properly calculate the area. Additionally, when dealing with discontinuous functions or regions with holes, the double integral may need to be split into multiple integrals or adjusted to account for the gaps in the region.