Find both the internal resistance of a battery and EMF

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a nonideal battery connected to two different resistors in a circuit, resulting in two different current values. The question posed was to determine the internal resistance of the battery and its emf. Using Ohm's law, it was discovered that the emf stays constant for both circuits, and two equations with two unknowns were used to solve for the internal resistance and emf. It was noted that using numbers instead of variables may be easier, but understanding the equations and their relationship is crucial for further understanding.
Shinwasha

Homework Statement

When a nonideal battery is connected to a 3.0-Ω resistor in a circuit, the current in the circuit is 2.0A . When the same battery is connected to a 1.0-Ω resistor in a circuit, the current in the circuit is 3.0 A.

What is the internal resistance of the battery?

What is the emf of the battery?

Homework Equations

I=ε/(Rbattery+R)
I=ε/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked at this to solve the emf for each individual situation, which gives me for the first scenario
2.0=ε/3.0 ε=6.0
2nd scenario
3.0=ε/1.0 ε=3.0

I realized that plugging this in wouldn't work because this requires me to have two different EMFs when it only wants one.

However using it I get for first scenario

2.0=6.0/(rbattery + 3.0), = rbattery + 3.0 = 3.0, = r battery = 0

second scenario

3.0 = 3.0 /(rbattery + 1.0), = r battery + 1 = 1, = r battery = 0

Considering the equation has to unknowns that I need to find out figuring out how to nail one of the variables down would help solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two unknowns, so you need two simultaneous equatons.
Write it out in symbols first:

Lets call the EMF just V for voltage - it is the open circuit voltage of the battery, and what you normally think of as the battery voltage, so why not?
The two load resistors are R1 and R2.
The internal resistance is r - lower case because the internal resistance is expected to be small.
The two currents are I1 and I2.

You have already done: V = I1(R1 + r)
That's one euation - you need another one. Can you see one that relates I2 and R2 to V and r?

The only thing I can possibly see is to take the EMF (which is unknown). Looking through the book I'm not seeing anything, and using google every thing I seeing gives one of the two unknowns. It seems like there just isn't enough information and that the voltage using V=IR should be the same in both cases but it's not. I'm stumped on how to go about solving this as I can't see any way of going about the way you are describing.

The emf stays the same (unknown value) for both circuits.

andrevdh said:
The emf stays the same (unknown value) for both circuits.

Which doesn't add up with the values I have. If in the second case the current was 6 amperes it would make sense. But since Current = EMF/Resistance it doesn't in this case.
Simon Bridge said:
That's one euation - you need another one. Can you see one that relates I2 and R2 to V and r?

Only thing I could think of here is the -IR is the same thing as V.

I think I got it now.

Using Ohm's law

V=IR

For case 1
V = 2(3.0+Ri)
V= 6+2Ri

Case 2
V = 3(1.0+Ri)
V = 3.0+3Ri

6+2Ri= 3+3Ri

3 = Ri

Thus

Emf = 6.0+2*3

EMF = 12

Just wasn't seeing the R part as having to pieces.

Well done... the trick is to understand what the equations are telling you instead of just substituting.
In the relationship I=V/R, that V is the potential difference across the load R... so, when you used it, that was not the same as the emf.
That relationship, btw, is also Ohm's law.

Following the notation in post #2

V=I1(R1+r)
V=I2(R2+r)

Here you have two equations and two unknowns.
Notice how it is clearer when you use variables instead of numbers?

Simon Bridge said:
Well done... the trick is to understand what the equations are telling you instead of just substituting.
In the relationship I=V/R, that V is the potential difference across the load R... so, when you used it, that was not the same as the emf.
That relationship, btw, is also Ohm's law.

Following the notation in post #2

V=I1(R1+r)
V=I2(R2+r)

Here you have two equations and two unknowns.
Notice how it is clearer when you use variables instead of numbers?

It is actually easier for me to use numbers than variables because I find it easier to relate values to something.

That is something that will change - and will have to if you are to advance.
Good luck.

1. What is the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery is the resistance to the flow of current within the battery itself. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the battery's construction and the resistance of the electrolyte solution.

2. Why is it important to know the internal resistance of a battery?

Knowing the internal resistance of a battery is important because it affects the overall performance of the battery. It can impact the voltage output, power output, and the battery's ability to deliver current to a load. In some cases, a high internal resistance can also indicate a faulty or deteriorating battery.

3. How is the internal resistance of a battery measured?

The internal resistance of a battery can be measured by using a multimeter and performing a voltage drop test. This involves measuring the voltage across the battery terminals with no load, and then with a known load applied. The difference in voltage can be used to calculate the internal resistance using Ohm's law.

4. What is EMF in relation to a battery?

EMF stands for electromotive force and is essentially the voltage produced by a battery. It is the force that drives the flow of electrons through a circuit and is often referred to as the battery's "push." The EMF of a battery is affected by factors such as temperature, internal resistance, and the type of materials used in the battery.

5. How can I find both the internal resistance and EMF of a battery?

To find both the internal resistance and EMF of a battery, you can use the voltage drop method described in question 3. By measuring the voltage across the battery terminals with no load and then with a known load, you can calculate the internal resistance. The EMF can then be determined by adding the voltage drop to the voltage measured with no load.