Find charge density on two parallel planes

In summary, two parallel and vertical planes of charge, A and B, have electric fields with magnitudes 3σ/(2*ε0) and σ/(2*ε0) respectively in the regions to their left and right. The electric field between the two planes has a magnitude of σ/(2*ε0) and points to the right. Using the principle of superposition, we can determine that the surface charge densities on planes A and B are 2σ and σ respectively.
Thorn

Homework Statement

Two planes of charge with no thickness, A and B, are parallel and vertical. The electric field in region 1 to the left of plane A has magnitude 3σ/(2*ε0) and points to the left. The electric field in the region to the right of B has magnitude 3σ/(2*ε0) and points to the right. The electric field in the region between the the two planes has magnitude σ/(2*ε0) and points to the right. What is the surface charge density on planes A and B respectively?

Homework Equations

E = σ/(2*ε0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin. I was thinking that the charges were of magnitude 3σ, but that wouldn't explain the inside field...I just don't know how to think of this problem correctly...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thorn said:

Homework Equations

E = σ/(2*ε0)
That's the correct formula for the field from one plane of charge. When you have more than one, you'll add up the field contributions from each. (The principle of superposition.)

Hint: Don't forget that the direction (sign) of the field from a plane of charge is different on each side.

adding up the field contributing from each? you mean that plate B is contributing to the field to the left of plate A, "region 1"? Well, I suppose it would have to be, I just don't see how. As for the superposition principle, I got that, since all these fields are on the same axis, I will just add or subtract them accordingly. But still...I have no clue how that formula works. Like I said, Using it on the left side of plane A tells you that the charge density is 3σ, which just isn't right...you get the same answer if you use it on plane B in the region to the right. But these charge densities clearly wouldn't get the E field we see in between the two planes...

hah! Nevermind...I figured it out...you can get 2 systems of equations and solve for the 2 charge densities...

Answer.. Plate A has charge density 2σ and B has charge density σ.

Thanks much!

1. What is charge density?

Charge density is the measure of electric charge per unit volume or unit area. It is denoted by the symbol ρ (rho) and is typically expressed in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3) or coulombs per square meter (C/m2).

2. How is charge density calculated?

The charge density on a parallel plane can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the plane by its surface area. This can be expressed mathematically as ρ = Q/A, where ρ is the charge density, Q is the total charge, and A is the surface area of the plane.

3. What are the units of charge density?

As mentioned earlier, charge density is typically expressed in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3) or coulombs per square meter (C/m2). However, in some cases, other units such as coulombs per cubic centimeter (C/cm3) may also be used.

4. How does the distance between the two parallel planes affect the charge density?

The distance between the two parallel planes does not affect the charge density. As long as the total charge and surface area of the planes remain constant, the charge density will remain the same regardless of the distance between the planes.

5. Can the charge density on the two parallel planes be different?

Yes, the charge density on the two parallel planes can be different. This can occur if the total charge or surface area of the planes is not the same. In this case, the charge density on the plane with a larger surface area will be lower compared to the plane with a smaller surface area.