Find deceleration from distance and initial velocity

In summary, the man jumps from a building and hits a safety net which slows him down. The net has an acceleration of 71.34m/s2.
-sandro-

Homework Statement

A man jumps from a building into a safety net located at 11m below, that acts like a rigid body when the man hits it. Find the speed.
The safety net moving 1.5m meters down stops the man completely. Find the deceleration, assumed as constant.

Homework Equations

Vf2= Vi2+ 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is really simple but I'm not sure about the deceleration that seems too high.
I found the speed at 11m (when the man hits the net) of 14.68m/s.
For the other question I set the final velocity at 0m/s, the initial velocity at 14.68m/s, distance 1.5m and I solved for a and I got a (negative) acceleration of 71.34m/s2. Isn't this too high? I tried to find the time with this deceleration to see if I get the given distance but it just won't work.
What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a reasonable value.
I get a bit more (both with g=9.81m/s^2 and g=10m/s^2), but that could be rounding errors.

If you want to stop a free fall within a fraction of the falling distance, you need the corresponding multiple of the acceleration.

Hi mfb, are you able to get the distance of 1.5m with that acceleration after finding the time? I can't :|

Edit: nevermind I got it. So apparently that high value is correct!

I calculated the deceleration directly, without time or velocity.
$$g \frac{11m}{1.5m}=9.81\frac{m}{s^2} \frac{11m}{1.5m} = 71.94\frac{m}{s^2}$$
That equation can be derived via the kinetic energy of the object.

-sandro- said:
Edit: nevermind I got it. So apparently that high value is correct!
yep, keeping in mind that we are constantly under 9.8m/s^2 all the time, 70m/s^2 is only roughly 7 times greater than that, so it is fairly 'gentle'. In fact, I think astronauts are trained to do like 50m/s^2 for an extended amount of time.

edit: although, as you bounce in the net, you feel as if you are accelerating at 79.8m/s^2 even though you are only at 70 m/s^2 relative to the earth.

p.s. sorry if I just made things more confusing. I was just trying to say that 70m/s^2 is a plausible answer (in the intuitive common-sense way).

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

1. What is the formula for finding deceleration from distance and initial velocity?

The formula for finding deceleration from distance and initial velocity is:
a = (vf^2 - vi^2) / (2 * d)
where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and d is the distance traveled.

2. How is deceleration different from acceleration?

Deceleration is the opposite of acceleration. While acceleration refers to an increase in speed, deceleration refers to a decrease in speed. In other words, deceleration is negative acceleration.

3. Can deceleration be negative?

Yes, deceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is slowing down and its velocity is decreasing. Negative deceleration is often referred to as "acceleration in the opposite direction."

4. How does distance affect deceleration?

The greater the distance traveled, the lower the deceleration will be. This is because deceleration is inversely proportional to distance. In other words, the farther an object travels while decelerating, the longer it takes for the object to come to a complete stop and the lower the overall deceleration will be.

5. What other factors can affect deceleration?

Besides distance, deceleration can also be affected by factors such as the mass and shape of the object, the friction between the object and its surroundings, and any external forces acting on the object.