Calculating Forces in a Stepladder with a Hinge

• Thread starter vu10758
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: Ok, so at the hinge, there is a tension of 210N. There are 533N of force pushing right, and 320N pushing left. This equals to the weight of the person, which is 87kg.
vu10758
Each side of a stepladder is 8m long and there is a hinge at the top. An 87kg man is 6m up one side and there is a 2.5m long rope connecting the two sides. The rope is exactly halfway up the ladder. Assume that the floor is frictionless and neglect the weight of the ladder. Find the tension in the rope, the forces exerted at the points A and B and the forces at the hinge C. It will be easiest if you separate the ladder into two halves and continue from there.

The answers in the answer key are 210N, 533N, 320N, 320N, 210N

I split the ladder into two.

On the left between A and C, I know that there is a tension on the rope pulling right. There is a gravitational force on the person pushing down, and there is a normal force pushing up on A.

On the right, I have Tension pulling right and that's it. The ladder is massless.

I don't know what to do though. I suspect that some of the stuff I relate looking at the free body diagram might have been wrong. I don't know what to do to solve for these forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an image? i am not getting the geometry.

Yes,
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=128765607&imageID=1460657842

I am sorry for leaving it out.

vu10758 said:
Yes,
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=128765607&imageID=1460657842

I am sorry for leaving it out.
Ultimately you want to split the ladder in 2 and analyze the FBD for each. However, FIRST find the vertical reactions at A and B before you split up the ladder. The only forces acting are the weight, and the vert. reactions at A and B. Everyting else is internal to the system. So just sum torques = 0 about A and solve for the vert force at B. Then the vertical force at A plus the vert force at B must equal the weight of the person. That's most of the battle, then take it from their with your FBD"s.

Ok, start off by not breaking at the hinge, yet!. Do torque to find the normal forces on A and B, first, then break apart and find the rest of the forces.

I know that net torque is zero

0 = -T_na + T_nb -T_mg + T_t

I got

0 = -1.25N_a + 1.25N_b - .3123*mg + T_t

I know that T_t is there, but I don't know the direction. Is it pushing right or left?

After I get this, do I plug into those equations to get the rest. The answers are 210N, 533N,320N,320N, 210N

Did you find the normal forces on A and B first?

In case you didn't understand, if you do not break apart, the only forces you will have are Weight of person, normal force A and normal force B, the rest are internal forces for the whole as your system.

I am having problems with this part.

I know that N_a + N_b = Mg, and I know that N_a is greater than N_b because the person is closer to A.

N_a + N_b = 852.6

Since tension is internal as you said, I should not include it in the torque equation - right?

So

0 = -T_na + T_nb - T_mg
0 = -1.25*N_a + 1.25*N_b - .3123*mg
0 = -1.25*N_a + 1.25* (mg - N_a) -.3123mg

-2.5N_a = -.9377mg
N_a = 319.8

and N_b = 532.8

Did I do something wrong? Why is N_b>N_a when the person is closer to A?

Now, how do I find the forces at the hinge at the tension of the rope? I know the rope is resisting rotation (ladder falling) but how do I know how much?

Your problem seems to be in your lever arms, right no tension, to find the rest of the forces, break apart the bodies.

Is there any possibility you could repost the image I am confused as to where B is located with only the words to go by.

1. How do I calculate the force on a ladder?

The force on a ladder can be calculated using the formula F = mg + ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ladder, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the ladder.

2. What factors affect the force on a ladder?

The force on a ladder is affected by its weight, the weight of the person on the ladder, the angle of the ladder, and the friction between the ladder and the ground.

3. How can I determine the direction of the forces on a ladder?

The direction of the forces on a ladder can be determined by considering the weight of the ladder acting downwards, the weight of the person acting downwards, the normal force from the ground acting upwards, and the friction force acting in the opposite direction of motion.

4. How do I find the force exerted by a person on a ladder?

The force exerted by a person on a ladder can be found by using the formula F = mg + ma, where m is the mass of the person, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the person on the ladder.

5. What is the maximum force a ladder can withstand?

The maximum force a ladder can withstand depends on its material, length, and weight capacity. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and not exceed the weight limit to ensure the safety and stability of the ladder.