Find Gravitational Force Component on Inclined Plane - 388.5 N, 36.1°

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
arsnmilan4
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a box weighing 388.5 N on an inclined plane that makes a 36.1 degree angle with the horizontal.
compute the component of the gravatational force on the inclined plane in N


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



would you find the gravatiational component by finding the x and y components?
Thanks for any help
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must show some work in order to get help. Have you drawn a diagram with all of the forces shown? Can you explain where are you stuck?
 
I drew a diagram, and I found the mass of the object which was 39.64 kg but i am not sure if i need that calculation. I am tring to look at how to get started so that I can solve the problem.
 
I hope you are familiar with vectors.

mg is perpendicular to the ground but it makes the angle of 36.1 with the inclined plane.

Hence resolve mg. The component perpendicular to the plane would be mgcos36.1 and that which is parallel to the plane would be mgsin36.1
 
Yea I am familiar with vectors, so the the component of the gravatational force acting down on the inclined plane is the component that is perpendicular to the plane?

mgcos36.1