Find Gravitational Force Component on Inclined Plane - 388.5 N, 36.1°

In summary, the task is to compute the component of the gravitational force on a box weighing 388.5 N on an inclined plane that makes a 36.1 degree angle with the horizontal. This can be done by resolving the gravitational force vector into its perpendicular and parallel components, with the perpendicular component being mgcos36.1.
arsnmilan4

Homework Statement

a box weighing 388.5 N on an inclined plane that makes a 36.1 degree angle with the horizontal.
compute the component of the gravatational force on the inclined plane in N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

would you find the gravatiational component by finding the x and y components?
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must show some work in order to get help. Have you drawn a diagram with all of the forces shown? Can you explain where are you stuck?

I drew a diagram, and I found the mass of the object which was 39.64 kg but i am not sure if i need that calculation. I am tring to look at how to get started so that I can solve the problem.

I hope you are familiar with vectors.

mg is perpendicular to the ground but it makes the angle of 36.1 with the inclined plane.

Hence resolve mg. The component perpendicular to the plane would be mgcos36.1 and that which is parallel to the plane would be mgsin36.1

Yea I am familiar with vectors, so the the component of the gravatational force acting down on the inclined plane is the component that is perpendicular to the plane?

mgcos36.1

What is the formula for finding the gravitational force component on an inclined plane?

The formula for finding the gravitational force component on an inclined plane is Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the gravitational force, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of inclination.

How do I calculate the value of m in the formula?

The value of m can be calculated by using the mass of the object in kilograms. If the mass is given in other units, it can be converted to kilograms by using the appropriate conversion factor.

What is the significance of the angle of inclination in this formula?

The angle of inclination, θ, is the angle between the inclined plane and the horizontal ground. It affects the amount of gravitational force acting on the object, as a steeper incline will result in a greater force component.

Can the value of 388.5 N be used as the gravitational force in the formula?

No, the value of 388.5 N cannot be used as the gravitational force in the formula. This value represents the total force acting on the object, but the formula requires the gravitational force component, which is only a part of the total force.

Is there a way to find the gravitational force component if the angle of inclination is not given?

Yes, if the angle of inclination is not given, the gravitational force component can still be found by using the Pythagorean theorem. The formula would be Fg = √(Ftotal² - Fperpendicular²), where Ftotal is the total force acting on the object and Fperpendicular is the component of the force perpendicular to the inclined plane.