Find length of a string, given a strange condition

In summary, the apple hangs from a spring that has negligible mass and has a spring constant of k. When the apple is added to the pendulum, the frequency of the pendulum motion decreases by half. The length of the pendulum is related to the unstretched length of the spring by mg(L-l) = 1/2 k (L-l)^2.
wayfarer

Homework Statement

An apple weighs 1.11 N. When you hang it from the end of a long spring of force constant 1.53 N/m and negligible mass, it bounces up and down in SHM. If you stop the bouncing and let the apple swing from side to side through a small angle, the frequency of this simple pendulum is half the bounce frequency. (Because the angle is small, the back and forth swings do not cause any appreciable change in the length of the spring.)
What is the unstretched length of the spring (i.e., without the apple attached)?

Homework Equations

I think these are the relevant ones:
For a normal spring, f = 1/2*pi ( sqrt (k/m ) )
for a simple pendulum, T = 2*pi * sqrt (L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

For spring with apple, if mass of the apple is m, spring constant is k, then
mg = kx (using force); combining this with f = 1/2*pi ( sqrt (k/m) ) gives:
f = 1/(2*pi) ( sqrt (g/L) )
For simple pendulum, I think we have T = 2*pi* sqrt (L/g)
So i think we should then have: 2*pi* sqrt (L/g ) = 1/2 (1/2*pi) * sqrt (g/L), i.e.
L = g/(8 * pi^2).
However this is wrong and I am not sure why. (I don't know what the right answer is either).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: When using this formula for the swinging spring/mass pendulum:
wayfarer said:
How does L relate to the unstretched length of the spring?

x is only length increment not the whole lenght

Dear Doc Al,
I think I understand my mistake - that I took the stretched length of the spring, and not its unstretched length now. But I am still a bit confused, and don't understand how to relate the two together - could you please tell me how I could do that?

Imagine that the spring has some unstretched length [itex]L_0[/itex]. When you add the mass of the apple, by how much does it stretch?

I know that but I meant, I am not sure which formula is applicable here.
I thought first that we could use formula:
A = sqrt ( x_0 ^2 + (v_0x)^2/w^2 )
but it seems like v_0x = 0, so this formula doesn't seem to help much (it seems to give wrong answer in this situation).
Perhaps Hooke's Law, F = -kx would be helpful, but I seemed to try that before, by thinking that maybe kx = mg and trying along those lines - which didn't seem to work either.
Perhaps i could use COnservation of energy to try this?
Trying that, i get, if L is stretched, l is unstretched length, then
mg(L-l ) = 1/2 k (L-l)^2
L = l + (2mg)/k
Is that correct?

Last edited:
wayfarer said:
I know that but I meant, I am not sure which formula is applicable here.
I thought first that we could use formula:
A = sqrt ( x_0 ^2 + (v_0x)^2/w^2 )
but it seems like v_0x = 0, so this formula doesn't seem to help much (it seems to give wrong answer in this situation).
I don't recognize that formula or what you're trying to do. All you need are the two formulas you started out with (plus Hooke's law):
wayfarer said:
For a normal spring, f = 1/2*pi ( sqrt (k/m ) )
This one gives you the frequency of the vertical SHM. And with the information given, you now know the frequency of the pendulum motion. (How does frequency relate to period?)
Use this to find the length of the spring pendulum. How does that length relate to the unstretched length?

1. How do you find the length of a string?

To find the length of a string, you can use the built-in function len() in most programming languages. This function returns the number of characters in the string.

2. What is the strange condition for finding the length of a string?

The strange condition refers to a unique situation where the string ends with a character that is not included in the length count. This means that the last character of the string is not counted in the length measurement.

3. How do you handle the strange condition when finding the length of a string?

To handle the strange condition, you can use the rstrip() function in Python to remove the last character of the string before finding its length. Other programming languages may have similar functions or methods to handle this condition.

4. What happens if the string does not end with a strange condition?

If the string does not end with a strange condition, then the length of the string will be calculated correctly using the len() function. The rstrip() function will not have any effect on the string.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the length of a string with a strange condition?

Yes, for example, if we have a string "Hello World!", the length of the string would be 12 characters. However, if we apply the rstrip() function and remove the exclamation mark, the length of the string would be 11 characters. This is because the exclamation mark is considered a strange condition and is not counted in the length measurement.