Find masses of particles on pulleys attached by strings

In summary, in a system where particle A is suspended by two strings over smooth pulleys and connected to particles B and C, with the strings making equal angles with the horizontal and being at right angles to each other at A, the masses of B and C are both equal to 1 kg. The system is in equilibrium and the tensions in the vertical direction are equal due to the smooth pulleys and the angles of the strings. This symmetry allows us to conclude that the masses of B and C must also be equal.
moenste

Homework Statement

A particle A is suspended as shown in the figure by two strings, which pass over smooth pulleys, and are attached to particles B and C. At A, the strings are at right angles to each other, and make equal angles with the horizontal. If the mass of B is 1 kg, what are the masses of A and C?

4ad0786d3fd7.jpg

Answers: A = √2 kg (20.5 kg), C = 1 kg

2. The attempt at a solution
For C:
If B = 1 kg and then it should be equal to C and C = 1 kg. I would say that because the system is in equilibrium and this is the reason, but it is not stated that the system is in eq. so I don't quite know why C is equal to 1 kg and not 1.1 or 0.9 kg.

For A:
At first I thought that A = B + C so 2 kg which is wrong. Then I though that if we take B as 1 kg, the angle as 45 degrees then A should be 1 cos 45. Adding another 1 cos 45 due to C is 2 cos 45 = 1.41 kg or root 2. But again, not sure about whether this logic is correct.

Any tips please? Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
it is not stated that the system is in eq.
Well observed. Problem isn't solvable if not in eq, so you can safely assume it is.

Remember the conditions for A in eq ? there are two components to ##\Sigma \vec F## !

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Well observed. Problem isn't solvable if not in eq, so you can safely assume it is.

Remember the conditions for A in eq ? there are two components to ##\Sigma \vec F## !
In that case if we assume that the system is in eq. then C = B = 1 kg.

Concerning A: a body is in equilibrium if the resultant force on its centre of mass is zero, and the total torque about all axes is zero; condition: the resultant force in any two directions in the plane of the forces is zero. 1 cos 45 [ B] = 1 cos 45 [C] as I understand it.

Yes. No worry about torque needed here. Just a simple sum of forces. Two tensions and one from gravity. The tensions in each of the strings are equal at each end (thanks to the pulleys). Directions are given.

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Yes. No worry about torque needed here. Just a simple sum of forces. Two tensions and one from gravity. The tensions in each of the strings are equal at each end (thanks to the pulleys). Directions are given.
So, the solution as I understand:
1. First we assume that the system is in an equilibrium.
2. Because the system is in eq. then B = C = 1 kg.
a37aa58db9ad.jpg

Tension in vertical lines is 10 N. Lines which are attached to A are also equal to 10 N (true? because they are the same vertical lines that is why they are 10 N?).
4. Drawing two triangles which have two 45 angles. We need to find the adjacent side in the triangle: 10 cos 45. Because we have two triangles then 2 * 10 cos 45 = 14.14 N. Diving by 10 m/s2 we get 1.41 kg or 20.5 = A.

This is correct?

Very much so.

You still seem a bit insecure about these tensions on the wires: If the tensions were not equal, the wire itself would accelerate!

The fact that the system is in equilibrium is not enough to establish mB = mC , though. Can you think of the deciding information in the problem statement that does this ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
You still seem a bit insecure about these tensions on the wires: If the tensions were not equal, the wire itself would accelerate!
I also read in a different source that due to "smooth pulleys" there is no tension and that's why 10 N is thoughout the whole wire. This logic is correct?

The fact that the system is in equilibrium is not enough to establish mB = mC , though. Can you think of the deciding information in the problem statement that does this ?
As I think it's either "smooth pulleys", so there is no tension and 10 N of the B side should be equal to 10 N of the C side and -> C = 1 kg. Or it's because the angle is 90 degrees at A so the masses of both B and C should be equal.

moenste said:
I also read in a different source that due to "smooth pulleys" there is no tension and that's why 10 N is thoughout the whole wire. This logic is correct?
A smooth pulley can not exercise a force along the wire anywhere where it touches the pulley, so it can't change the tension: there's no tension difference between the two ends of a wire over a smooth pulley.
If a pulley is not smooth, there still are several possibilities: the wire can slip or not and the pulley rotation can be free or with friction. For a static problem the slipping isn't an issue, but friction in the pulley bearing can exercise a torque on the wire -- which gives a tension difference between the ends of the wire.

As I think it's either "smooth pulleys", so there is no tension and 10 N of the B side should be equal to 10 N of the C side and -> C = 1 kg. Or it's because the angle is 90 degrees at A so the masses of both B and C should be equal.
No friction is indeed a necessary condition. The 90 degrees actually isn't. Together, that's still not enough. The "the strings make equal angles with the horizontal" is essential too and clinches it: The main and crucial argument for ##m_B = m_C## is symmetry: your pulleys are static as well, so they both must be in equilibrium, with ##\ \ \Sigma \vec F = 0\ \ ##. Since they are frictionless, the tensions in the vertical direction are the same as in the 45 degree direction. For A too you have ##\ \ \Sigma \vec F = 0\ \ ##, so the horizontal components of the tension forces on A must be opposite and equal, which forces ##m_Bg\cos 45^\circ = m_Cg\cos 45^\circ ## .

You can check for yourself if you now understand the whole thing: repeat the exercise with 60##^\circ## or 120##^\circ## instead of the 90##^\circ##

:smile:

Likes moenste
BvU said:
No friction is indeed a necessary condition. The 90 degrees actually isn't. Together, that's still not enough. The "the strings make equal angles with the horizontal" is essential too and clinches it: The main and crucial argument for ##m_B = m_C## is symmetry: your pulleys are static as well, so they both must be in equilibrium, with ##\ \ \Sigma \vec F = 0\ \ ##. Since they are frictionless, the tensions in the vertical direction are the same as in the 45 degree direction. For A too you have ##\ \ \Sigma \vec F = 0\ \ ##, so the horizontal components of the tension forces on A must be opposite and equal, which forces ##m_Bg\cos 45^\circ = m_Cg\cos 45^\circ ## .

You can check for yourself if you now understand the whole thing: repeat the exercise with 60##^\circ## or 120##^\circ## instead of the 90##^\circ##

:smile:
So, for 60 degrees it's: mB g cos 30 = mC g cos 30 = 1 kg and 2 kg * g * cos 30 = 17.32 N and A = 1.73 kg. For 120 degrees it's: mB g cos 60 = mC g cos 60 = 1 kg and 2 kg * g * cos 60 = 10 N and A = 1 kg.

Spot on !

Likes moenste

Related to Find masses of particles on pulleys attached by strings

1. How do I find the mass of a particle on a pulley attached by a string?

To find the mass of a particle on a pulley attached by a string, you will need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. You will also need to know the tension in the string and the acceleration of the system. Once you have these values, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the mass.

2. What are the different types of pulleys and how do they affect the mass calculation?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys do not change the direction of the force, but they do change the direction of the string. Movable pulleys do change the direction of the force, and compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys. The type of pulley you are using will affect the tension in the string and therefore the mass calculation.

3. How do I account for friction when calculating the mass of particles on pulleys?

Friction can affect the accuracy of your mass calculation, so it is important to account for it. You can do this by measuring the force of friction and subtracting it from the overall force in the F=ma equation. You can also use a pulley with low friction to minimize its impact on the mass calculation.

4. Can I use the same method to find the masses of particles on multiple pulleys?

Yes, you can use the same method to find the masses of particles on multiple pulleys. However, you will need to account for the different tensions in the strings and accelerations of the system for each pulley. You can do this by using the F=ma equation for each pulley and then combining the results to find the overall mass.

5. Is there a limit to the number of particles I can calculate the masses of on pulleys?

There is no limit to the number of particles you can calculate the masses of on pulleys. However, the more particles you have, the more complex the system becomes and the more variables you will need to consider. It is important to carefully measure and account for all forces and accelerations in order to accurately calculate the masses of particles on pulleys.