Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the node points for a clamped-pinned and clamped-spring beam, and the use of ODEs and boundary conditions to solve for the mode shape. It is mentioned that the solution is non-linear and may require numerical methods, such as Newton's method, to find the node points.
SEG9585

Homework Statement

Find the node points (zero displacement) for a clamped-pinned and clamped-spring beam.
I am trying to figure out how to find these points on a beam of length L (constant E*I,m) for the first 3 natural frequencies.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\upsilon(x,t) = \sum \phi(x)*\zeta(t)[/tex]
ODE:
[tex]\phi''(x) - \omega\phi(x) = F[/tex]

General solution:
[tex]\phi(x) = A*sinh(\alpha*x) + B*cos(\alpha*x) - C*sin(\alpha*x) - D*cosh*(\alpha*x)[/tex]

A,B,C,D to be found using boundary conditions (in this case clamped-pinned):
[tex]\phi(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]\phi'(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]\phi(L)=0[/tex]
[tex]\phi''(L)=0[/tex]My question is: the mode shape can be found by solving for the constants, etc. But how can you analytically find the zeros for this? The solution is non-linear. Is there another method I can use to find the node points?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone there??
One thought I had was to use Newton's method but I've tried this and the radius of convergence seems to be too small for many of my cases.

Unless A=D=0, I'm pretty sure you need to solve numerically.
An analytic solution would be possible when A=D=0, since it's just trig terms then.

Related to Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution

1. What is the "Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution" method?

The "Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution" method is a scientific approach used to determine the locations of points of zero deflection, also known as nodes, on a beam. This method involves analyzing the mathematical equations that govern the behavior of beams under various loading conditions.

2. Why is it important to find node points on a beam?

Finding node points on a beam is important because it helps in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges and buildings. These points indicate areas of zero deflection, which can affect the overall stability and strength of a structure. By locating these points, engineers can ensure that the structure can withstand the expected loads and forces.

3. What are the steps involved in the "Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution" method?

The steps involved in this method include determining the external forces and moments acting on the beam, solving the governing equations for the beam, and then setting the resulting equations equal to zero to find the locations of the node points. This process may involve the use of mathematical software or hand calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to the "Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution" method?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It assumes that the beam is perfectly straight, homogeneous, and isotropic, and that the external forces and moments are applied at specific points along the beam. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for more complex beam shapes or loading conditions.

5. How does the "Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution" method differ from other methods of determining node points?

The "Find Node Points on a Beam: Analytical Solution" method differs from other methods, such as experimental testing or numerical analysis, in that it relies on mathematical equations to determine the locations of node points. This method is often used as a first step in the design process, and the results can be validated through other testing methods.