Find points on a plane at(0,0,0) 2x+3y+yz=12

In summary, the problem asks for points on a plane at (0,0,0) that are 2x+ 3y+ z= 12. However, the equation of the plane does not lie on that plane. The problem is incorrectly stated.
Unemployed

Homework Statement

Find points on a plane at(0,0,0) 2x+3y+yz=12

Homework Equations

d^2=x^2 +y^2-(2x-3y-12)/y

The Attempt at a Solution

fx=2x-(4 (2x-3y-12)/y)
fxx= 2-8/y
Fy 2y-(2*3*(2x-3y-12)/y)
Fyy= (4y+3)/y^2

I am getting round numbers to plug back in. Totally wrong approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find points on a plane (2x+3y+yz=12) at 0,0,0

Homework Statement

Find points on a plane 2x+3y+yz=12 at (0,0,0)

Homework Equations

d^2=x^2+y^2+((2x+3y-12)/-y)^2

My calculation: fx= 2xy-8x+12y-48/y
Looked on a derivative calculator: (2xy^2+8X+12y-48/)y^2

My calc:
fy= (^33-2X-3Y+12)/y^2

The fyy and fxx get convoluted assuming i did the first derivatives correctly. Then the d-test for saddle. Need a comprehensive explanation of this example. Thanks

Unemployed said:

Homework Statement

Find points on a plane 2x+3y+yz=12 at (0,0,0)
This is not the equation of a plane. Are you trying to find points on the plane that is tangent to the surface 2x+3y+yz=12 at (0,0,0)?

The problem with that interpretation of what you wrote is that (0, 0, 0) is not a point on this surface.

Unemployed said:

Homework Equations

d^2=x^2+y^2+((2x+3y-12)/-y)^2

My calculation: fx= 2xy-8x+12y-48/y
Looked on a derivative calculator: (2xy^2+8X+12y-48/)y^2

My calc:
fy= (^33-2X-3Y+12)/y^2
Unemployed said:
The fyy and fxx get convoluted assuming i did the first derivatives correctly. Then the d-test for saddle. Need a comprehensive explanation of this example. Thanks

How about starting with the exact wording of this problem.

How is it not a plane? I graphed on a 3-D graphing calculator (using what i got as z) and it was a plane, it was twisted but a plane. Planes usually take the formula a(x1-xo)+b(y1-yo)+c(z1-z0)=Constant

The onlyway that this equation is incorrect is it was supposed to be 2x+3y+4z=12

Would that make more sense?

Unemployed said:
How is it not a plane? I graphed on a 3-D graphing calculator (using what i got as z) and it was a plane, it was twisted but a plane.
There is no twist in a plane.
Unemployed said:
Planes usually take the formula a(x1-xo)+b(y1-yo)+c(z1-z0)=Constant
Sort of. It should be a(x - x0) + b(y - y0) + c(z - z0) = Constant.
Unemployed said:
The onlyway that this equation is incorrect is it was supposed to be 2x+3y+4z=12

Would that make more sense?
Well, at least that's actually a plane. The problem is that it doesn't go through (0, 0, 0), which is pretty easy to check.

What is the actual wording of the problem you're trying to solve?

These are problems given in notes as HW made up as the professor goes along rather than straight out of the book. You are right in that I am not sure in what the hell he is asking.

I assume the plane is 2x+3y+4z=12
Then it says:
Find the point on the plane and the point (0,0,0)?

Following the example:
Classify the critical points and max, min,saddle or test fails

x+y+z=3

at (1,2,3)

Does it say "Find the point on the plane 2x+ 3y+ 4z= 12 closest to (0, 0, 0)"?

It that were the problem, you would want to find the line through (0, 0, 0) perpendicular to 2x+ 3y+ 4z= 12 and find where that line crosses the plane.

Unemployed said:
Following the example:
Classify the critical points and max, min,saddle or test fails

x+y+z=3

at (1,2,3)

(1, 2, 3) is not a point on the plane x + y + z = 3.

it still does say find point on the plane 2x+3y+4z+12 and the point (0,0,0)

But I am guessing he meant find the point closest to 0,0,0

The prior example x+y+z=3

at point (1,2,3) does show use of the perpendicular. Thanks for the help deciphering

To find the point on x+ y+ z= 3, closest to (1, 2, 3), note that the vector <1, 1, 1> is normal to the plane and so x= 1+ t, y= 2+ t, z= 3+ t is perpendicular to the plane. That point intersects the plane when (1+ t)+ (2+ t)+ (3+ t)= 6+ 3t= 3 so 3t= -3 and t= -1.

That is the point x= 1- 1= 0, y= 2- 1= 1, z= 3- 1= 2 or (0, 1, 2).

So minimizing the square of the distance (which automatically minimizes the distance), you have d2 = f(x, y) = x2 + y2 + (3 - x/2 - 3y/4)2.

Now you can find your two partial derivatives and set them to zero to find the x, y, and z coordinates of the point on the plane that is closest to the origin.

Mark44 said:
So minimizing the square of the distance (which automatically minimizes the distance), you have d2 = f(x, y) = x2 + y2 + (3 - x/2 - 3y/4)2.

Now you can find your two partial derivatives and set them to zero to find the x, y, and z coordinates of the point on the plane that is closest to the origin.
This works but is not the way I would do it. For planes (and linear problems in general) it is not necessary use Calculus. Of course, if the problem were your original 2x+ 3y+ yz= 12, which is not a plane, you would have to use Calculus but apparently that was a mistype for 2x+ 3y+ 4z= 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wouldn't do it this way, either, but I was following the path the OP started along.

1. What does the equation 2x+3y+yz=12 represent?

The equation 2x+3y+yz=12 represents a plane in three-dimensional space. It is a linear equation with three variables, x, y, and z, and a constant term, 12.

2. How can I find points on this plane?

To find points on this plane, you can use the intercept method by setting x, y, or z to 0 and solving for the remaining variables. Alternatively, you can choose arbitrary values for two variables and solve for the third variable.

3. What does the point (0,0,0) represent in this equation?

The point (0,0,0) represents the origin of the coordinate system. It is the point where all three axes (x, y, and z) intersect and has a value of 0 for all three variables in the equation.

4. How many points can I find on this plane?

Since this is a linear equation in three-dimensional space, there are infinitely many points on this plane. You can find as many points as you want by choosing different values for x, y, and z.

5. Can this equation be graphed on a two-dimensional plane?

No, this equation cannot be graphed on a two-dimensional plane as it has three variables. It can only be graphed on a three-dimensional coordinate system where each axis represents a variable.