Find Radius of Largest Circle in Middle - IGCSE Math

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the radius of the largest circle that can fit in the middle of a group of smaller circles with a given radius. Various methods are suggested, such as using Pythagoras' theorem and writing equations, and the final answer is determined to be 1.716 cm.
salik
The large circle has a radius of 10cm. Find the radius of the largest circle which will fit in the middle.

I am doing my IGCSE right now and this question has proved a bit difficult for me and my friends :-p .I asked a few math teachers in our school and they couldn't solve it as well. I guess someone here could help.

Thanks

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/ee0a88b423.jpg

Attachments

• circle.JPG
    circle.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 863
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw in the square formed by the centers of the smaller circles, and a diameter of the large circle that goes through two corners of the square.

radius - diameter of one the smaller circles = the radius of the largest circle that can fit in the middle of all the circles.

i noticed the bomb, explain how that is wrong?

umm,how do i find the diameter of the smaller circles?.. I am a bit confused here

a ruler will work.

This is a diagram in my textbook and it is not to scale. It is part of the chapter in which we learn how to find areas of circles,so I am pretty sure the answer is supposed to be found using a formula and not a ruler.

The answer given in the answers section is 1.716 cm. Hope this helps

Last edited:
pi * radius^2 = area
area / 4 = x
sqrt(x) = y
y = diameter of small circle

at least that's how i hope it's done. :redface:

Look at NateTG's post, that's the best way. In the square, form a right angled triange. Use Pythagoras to get the relation between all the sides. Then use his other tip about writing out the diameter of the large circle in terms of the smaller circles. That gives you enough info to solve. You don't need to worry about areas at all.

you can find the radius of the smaller circle using this method(please view diagram)
Large circle radius 10cm
Medium circle radius x
Small circle radius Y
(sq)AB=(sq)2X+(sq)2X=(sq)4x+(sq)4X
(sq)AB=(sq)8X
AB=2(sqrt)2X
2X+2Y=2(sqrt)2X
AB=2x+2Y
20=2X=2Y+2X=4X+2Y
2Y=20-4X
Y=10-2X
2X=10-Y
X=(10-Y)/2
2X+2Y=2(sqrt)2X
2(10-Y/2)+2Y=2(sqrt)2(10-Y/2)
10-Y+2Y=(sqrt)2(10-Y)
10+Y=10(sqrt)2-10
Y(1+(sqrt)2)=10((sqrt)2-1)
Y=10((sqrt)2-1)/(1+(sqrt)2)
Y=10(1.4142-1)/(1+1.4142)
Y=10(0.4142)/(2.4142)
Y=4.142/2.4142
Y=1.7156
Y=1.716

hope this helps

Attachments

• Circles.jpg
    Circles.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,443
X is radius of medium circle
a^2+b^2=c^2
2x^2+2x^2=[20-2x]^2
8x^2=[20-2x]^2
After solving u get
X=4.142135624
X. 2

10-8.284=
1.716cm

Related to Find Radius of Largest Circle in Middle - IGCSE Math

1. What is the "Find Radius of Largest Circle in Middle" question asking for?

The question is asking for the radius of the largest circle that can be inscribed in a given shape, where the center of the circle must be in the middle of the shape.

2. How do you find the radius of the largest circle in the middle of a shape?

To find the radius of the largest circle in the middle of a shape, you must first determine the length and width of the shape. Then, divide the smaller dimension by 2 to find the radius of the circle.

3. Can the largest circle in the middle be bigger than the shape itself?

No, the largest circle in the middle of a shape can never be bigger than the shape itself. The circle must be able to fit inside the shape with the center of the circle in the middle of the shape.

4. What is the difference between the largest circle in the middle and the largest circle that can be inscribed in a shape?

The largest circle in the middle refers to the largest circle that can be inscribed in a shape with the center of the circle in the middle. The largest circle that can be inscribed in a shape can be located at any point within the shape, not necessarily in the middle.

5. Is there a formula for finding the radius of the largest circle in the middle?

Yes, the formula for finding the radius of the largest circle in the middle is: radius = (smaller dimension)/2. This formula applies to all shapes, including squares, rectangles, triangles, and circles.