Solving a Quantum Field Theory Recursion Relation Through Self Study

In summary, the problem at hand involves solving a recursion relation by plugging a power series into a differential equation. The variational definition shows that the power series must converge, while the differential equation has a specific form based on the variational definition. The poster has attempted various approaches to solve the recursion relation, but has not been successful thus far. The problem involves an arbitrary kernel, which is assumed to be well-behaved. The equality det[1-λK] = exp{tr ln[1-λK]}, known as the "standard matrix identity", is relevant to the problem. Any help in solving the recursion relation would be greatly appreciated.
Imanbk
Hello Everyone!

I have a problem I am solving through a self study project from Lowell Brown's book entitled: Quantum Field Theory". It is a math question (basically) on recursion relations.

Homework Statement

The variational definition gives us the relation:
det[1-λK] = exp{tr ln[1-λK]}.

Where λ is a "small" number and K is the kernel.

The variational definition shows us that λ needs to be small in order for the power series of ln[1-λK] to converge. But on the other hand, one can show that the power series:

d(λ) = det[1-λK] = Ʃ(n=0 to inf) d_(n)λ^(n)

Always converges provided that K (the kernel) is sufficiently "well behaved".

Relavant question:

What we are are asked to do is to plug the above power series into the following differential eqaution:

d/dλ d(λ) = -d(λ)*Ʃ(m=0 to inf) [λ^(m)*trK^(m+1)]

to find a recursion relation relating d_(n+1), d_(n), and trK^(n+1).

The Attempt at a Solution

I showed why the differential equation has the form it has by integrating over λ and using boundary condition det1=1 (so that ln(det1)=0) to give us back the variational definition.

To solve for the recursion relation I tried several approaches. My closest approach was writing out the sum over n as:

Ʃ(n=0 to inf) [(n+1)*d_(n+1)*λ^(n)+d_(n)*λ^(n+m)*trK^(n+m)] = 0.

I tried to get the sum with all variables λ factored out so we get the sum in the following form:

Ʃ(...)*λ^(some power) = 0

so that I can use the theorem which states that: a polynomial is identically zero if and only if all of its coefficents are zero but I can't factor out λ^(m) from the second term.

I also supposed that for n ≠ m we have zero contributions to get:

Ʃ(n=0 to inf) [(n+1)*d_(n+1)+d_(n)*λ^(2)*trK^(n+m)]*λ^(n) = 0.

I have no reason to do this (yet) but I was just playing around to see if I can get the trK^(n+1) term which was asked for in the question.

I hope I gave enough info about this question. If not please let me know! I tried hard at this question with no solution. I was taught to solve recursion relations for terms in powers of λ which differ by constants such as λ^(n), λ^(n-1), λ^(n-2), etc. but not terms which differ by powers of λ of another summation variable (m).

Thanks a lot for help on this!
Imankb

Physics news on Phys.org

Is there anyone who can help me with this question? I'm willing to think with whoever can shed some light on how to solve this recursion relation.
Thanks a bunch..

Hello Mentors:

I posted a question 5 days ago and have received no reply to date. I checked and re-checked the posting rules and I think I have followed all the posting rules. Can you please tell if there is anything wrong so I can better ask my question next time? Thank you, imanbk

Hello Everyone!

I have a problem I am solving through a self study project from Lowell Brown's book entitled: Quantum Field Theory". It is a math question (basically) on recursion relations.

1. Homework Statement
The variational definition gives us the relation:
det[1-λK] = exp{tr ln[1-λK]}.

Where λ is a "small" number and K is the kernel.

The variational definition shows us that λ needs to be small in order for the power series of ln[1-λK] to converge. But on the other hand, one can show that the power series:

d(λ) = det[1-λK] = \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infy} d_(n)λ^(n)

Always converges provided that K (the kernel) is sufficiently "well behaved".

Relavant question:

What we are are asked to do is to plug the above power series into the following differential eqaution:

\frac{d}{dλ} d(λ) = -d(λ)*Ʃ(m=0 to inf) [λ^(m)*trK^(m+1)]

to find a recursion relation relating d_(n+1), d_(n), and trK^(n+1).

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I showed why the differential equation has the form it has by integrating over λ and using boundary condition det1=1 (so that ln(det1)=0) to give us back the variational definition.

To solve for the recursion relation I tried several approaches. My closest approach was writing out the sum over n as:

\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infy} [(n+1)*d_(n+1)*λ^(n)+d_(n)*λ^(n+m)*trK^(n+m)] = 0.

I tried to get the sum with all variables λ factored out so we get the sum in the following form:

Ʃ(...)*\lambda^(some power) = 0

so that I can use the theorem which states that: a polynomial is identically zero if and only if all of its coefficents are zero but I can't factor out \lambda^{m} from the second term.

I also supposed that for n ≠ m we have zero contributions to get:

\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infy} [(n+1)*d_(n+1)+d_(n)*\lambda^(2)*trK^(n+m)]\lambda^(n) = 0.

I have no reason to do this (yet) but I was just playing around to see if I can get the trK^(n+1) term which was asked for in the question.

I hope I gave enough info about this question. If not please let me know! I tried hard at this question with no solution. I was taught to solve recursion relations for terms in powers of λ which differ by constants such as \lambda^(n), \lambda^(n-1), \lambda^(n-2), etc. but not terms which differ by powers of λ of another summation variable (m).

Thanks a lot for help on this!

What is "the kernel" (K)?

Hi Voko!

I'm looking at the text and at the end of the problem it says let K be an arbitrary kernel. At the end of the problem he starts his promised explanation on the "convergence of the power series in λ that rigorously defines the infinite determinant for an arbitrary kernel
K(x,x')". I can write out the explanation here if it is required.

Given that he puts his explanation at the end of the problem, I think this part of the problem can be solved without knowing what K is, and that knowing it's well-behaved is sufficient?

I looked up the equality:
det[1-λK] = exp{tr ln[1-λK]} and found it is also called the "standard matrix identity".
I also found this text on it (attached, please look starting at statement (m) on page 4).
Let me know if you have any other questions on the problem. Any help on solving this recursion relation would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

Attachments

• variational definition.pdf
    81.2 KB · Views: 233

I found a document online which explains the problem on page 8 of the 52 available pages. I am now just working out the induction part of the proof.. not entirely sure how they expand the espression for a_(n+1)..

Link:
http://krein.unica.it/~cornelis/private/PDF/IEOT/ieot_26_136.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the interactions between particles at a quantum level. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. What is a recursion relation in quantum field theory?

A recursion relation in quantum field theory is an equation that describes the relationship between different terms in a mathematical expression. It is used to calculate the probability of certain particle interactions and can be solved through self-study methods.

3. How can one solve a quantum field theory recursion relation through self-study?

Solving a quantum field theory recursion relation through self-study involves understanding the mathematical concepts and principles behind the equation and using techniques such as perturbation theory and Feynman diagrams to solve it step by step. It also requires a strong background in mathematics and physics.

4. What are the benefits of solving a quantum field theory recursion relation through self-study?

Solving a quantum field theory recursion relation through self-study allows for a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts involved and the ability to apply these techniques to other problems. It also allows for flexibility in learning at one's own pace and can be a valuable skill for future research in theoretical physics.

5. Are there any challenges in solving a quantum field theory recursion relation through self-study?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving a quantum field theory recursion relation through self-study. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, and may also involve complex calculations and abstract concepts. It also requires dedication and perseverance to work through the problem-solving process independently.