Finding Maximum Speed of Bottom Cylinder in a Cylinder-Wall System

In summary: Yes, it should be -dy/dt instead of dy/dt.But I would suggest a different approach. Let the CM of lower cylinder shift by ##x## and the CM of upper cylinder descends by ##y##. Let ##O## denote the initial position of CM of lower cylinder and ##A## and ##B## denote the position of lower cylinder and top cylinder at a later time respectively. Denote ##\angle BAO=\theta##. You get the following relations:$$x=2R\cos\theta \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=-2R\sin\theta \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$$$y=2R(1-\sin\theta) \Rightarrow
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two identical uniform cylinders of radius R each are placed on top of each other next to a wall as shown. After a disturbance, the bottom cylinder slightly moves to the right and the system comes into motion. Find the maximum subsequent speed of the bottom cylinder. Neglect friction between all surfaces.

See attachment for diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the final speed of the lower and upper cylinders be vb and vu respectively and their angular velocity be ωb and ωu.
Conserving energy

[itex]3mgR + mgR=\dfrac{mv_b ^2}{2} + \dfrac{mv_u ^2}{2}+\dfrac{mv_b ^2}{4}+\dfrac{mv_u ^2}{4} + 2mgR \\
v_b ^2 + v_u ^2=\dfrac{8gr}{3} [/itex]

I have assumed that the cylinders do not slip on the surface and perform pure rolling. I need another equation as there are two variables.

Attachments

• image018.jpg
    image018.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 443
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Two identical uniform cylinders of radius R each are placed on top of each other next to a wall as shown. After a disturbance, the bottom cylinder slightly moves to the right and the system comes into motion. Find the maximum subsequent speed of the bottom cylinder. Neglect friction between all surfaces.

See attachment for diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the final speed of the lower and upper cylinders be vb and vu respectively and their angular velocity be ωb and ωu.
Conserving energy

[itex]3mgR + mgR=\dfrac{mv_b ^2}{2} + \dfrac{mv_u ^2}{2}+\dfrac{mv_b ^2}{4}+\dfrac{mv_u ^2}{4} + 2mgR \\
v_b ^2 + v_u ^2=\dfrac{8gr}{3} [/itex]

I have assumed that the cylinders do not slip on the surface and perform pure rolling. I need another equation as there are two variables.

I don't see why you are worried about the pure rolling motion when the problem clearly states that the surfaces are frictionless. This should be a simple constraint problem.

Assume that lower cylinder shifts by a distance ##x## towards right and the top cylinder descends by ##y##. Can you relate the two?

Pranav-Arora said:
I don't see why you are worried about the pure rolling motion when the problem clearly states that the surfaces are frictionless. This should be a simple constraint problem.

Assume that lower cylinder shifts by a distance ##x## towards right and the top cylinder descends by ##y##. Can you relate the two?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

If at any time , the center of the upper cylinder is at a distance 'y' from the floor and the center of the lower cylinder is at a distance 'x' from the wall ,then

(x-R)2+(y-R)2 = (2R)2

dx/dt = -[(y-R)/(x-R)]dy/dt

Is this the correct relation ?If yes,what should be the next step ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
If at any time , the center of the upper cylinder is at a distance 'y' from the floor and the center of the lower cylinder is at a distance 'x' from the wall ,then

(x-R)2+(y-R)2 = (2R)2

Applying conservation of energy :smile: and then eliminate all y and find the x coordinate where dx/dt is maximum.

ehild

Tanya Sharma said:

(x-R)2+(y-R)2 = (2R)2

Denote the initial position of COM of upper cylinder with A and that of lower cylinder with B. Assume that the bottom cylinder shifts a distance x from its initial position and consequently, the upper cylinder descends a distance y from its initial position. Let their new position of COM be C and D respectively.
BC=x and AD=y. Let ∠DCB = θ.

Now try to relate y and x using suitable equations. (Hint: Drop a perpendicular from A to ground. You already know its length).

utkarshakash said:
Denote the initial position of COM of upper cylinder with A and that of lower cylinder with B. Assume that the bottom cylinder shifts a distance x from its initial position and consequently, the upper cylinder descends a distance y from its initial position. Let their new position of COM be C and D respectively.
BC=x and AD=y. Let ∠DCB = θ.

Now try to relate y and x using suitable equations. (Hint: Drop a perpendicular from A to ground. You already know its length).

Thanks...

x = (2R-y)/tanθ . Here all x,y and θ vary . So what next ?

By the way what is the answer ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Thanks...

Your previous relation is OK. (I think you got a sign error there)

As suggested by ehild, you can then use energy conservation.

Tanya Sharma said:
Thanks...

The correct answer is [itex]\sqrt{\dfrac{16gR}{27}} [/itex]

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
Your previous relation is OK. (I think you got a sign error there)

As suggested by ehild, you can then use energy conservation.

Do you mean the relation in post#4 ? What is the error ?

utkarshakash said:
The correct answer is [itex]\sqrt{\dfrac{16gR}{27}} [/itex]

Did I get the relation right in post#7 ? Do I need to conserve energy along with this relation ?

Tanya Sharma said:

Yes, it should be -dy/dt instead of dy/dt.

But I would suggest a different approach. Let the CM of lower cylinder shift by ##x## and the CM of upper cylinder descends by ##y##. Let ##O## denote the initial position of CM of lower cylinder and ##A## and ##B## denote the position of lower cylinder and top cylinder at a later time respectively. Denote ##\angle BAO=\theta##. You get the following relations:
$$x=2R\cos\theta \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=-2R\sin\theta \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
$$y=2R(1-\sin\theta) \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dt}=-2R\cos\theta \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
From energy conservation:
$$mgy=\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2$$
$$\Rightarrow 4gR(1-\sin\theta)=4R^2\sin^2\theta \left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2+4R^2\cos^2\theta \left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{d\theta}{dt}=\sqrt{\frac{g}{R}}\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\sqrt{\frac{g}{R}}\frac{-\cos\theta}{2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}}$$
For maximum speed, you have to equate ##d^2x/dt^2=0##. Can you proceed now?

Likes 1 person
Hi Pranav...

Thank you very much for the nice explanation.Please forgive me if I am wrong with the reasoning .

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes, it should be -dy/dt instead of dy/dt.

dy/dt is negative and there is already a negative sign in the RHS . Are you sure there should be an additional negative sign ?

Pranav-Arora said:
$$y=2R(1-\sin\theta) $$

I think this should be R(1-2sinθ) in the LHS .

Pranav-Arora said:
From energy conservation:
$$mgy=\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2$$

I think this should be mg(R+y)/2 in the LHS . Shouldn't that be loss of PE of the CM of the system of the two spheres ?

I think this should be R(1-2sinθ) in the LHS .

I think this should be mg(R+y)/2 in the LHS . Shouldn't that be loss of PE of the CM of the system of the two spheres ?

I have attached a sketch. Let me know if that clears up the above issues.

Tanya Sharma said:
dy/dt is negative and there is already a negative sign in the RHS . Are you sure there should be an additional negative sign ?
Sorry, I was being hasty, you are correct in your analysis.

But I am little unsure about the sign issue. The problem with the signs and the messy algebra was the reason I switched to expressing everything with ##\theta##. I hope somebody else can clear it up. :P

Attachments

• spheres falling.png
    spheres falling.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
I have attached a sketch. Let me know if that clears up the above issues.

Don't you think 'y' is the distance by which upper cylinder descends whereas we need distance by which COM of the system of two spheres descends ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Don't you think 'y' is the distance by which upper cylinder descends whereas we need distance by which COM of the system of two spheres descends ?

Why do you need the distance by which COM descends? :confused:

You can calculate the change in gravitational potential energy of individual spheres, no?

Pranav-Arora said:
Why do you need the distance by which COM descends? :confused:

Sorry...

You are right . What I am saying is also correct .Just that I wrongly calculated location of COM .Either way it comes out to be mgy .

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:

Did I get the relation right in post#7 ? Do I need to conserve energy along with this relation ?

I chose to work with "x" instead of θ and here's what I got.

[itex]y=2R-\sqrt{4R^2-x^2} [/itex]

If you differentiate both sides you will get a relation between vx and vy. Next step is to use energy conservation.

[itex]3mgR = \frac{m}{2} (v_x^2 + v_y^2) + mg(R+\sqrt{4R^2-x^2}) [/itex]

Note that I've not taken into account the GPE of the bottom cylinder since it does not change. Replace vy in terms of vx(using the relation derived earlier) and you will get an expression for vx in terms of x. For maximum velocity d(vx)/dx = 0.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Likes 1 person
utkarshakash said:
I chose to work with "x" instead of θ and here's what I got.

[itex]y=2R-\sqrt{4R^2-x^2} [/itex]

If you differentiate both sides you will get a relation between vx and vy. Next step is to use energy conservation.

[itex]3mgR = \frac{m}{2} (v_x^2 + v_y^2) + mg(R+\sqrt{4R^2-x^2}) [/itex]

Note that I've not taken into account the GPE of the bottom cylinder since it does not change. Replace vy in terms of vx(using the relation derived earlier) and you will get an expression for vx in terms of x. For maximum velocity d(vx)/dx = 0.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks a lot :)

FAQ: Finding Maximum Speed of Bottom Cylinder in a Cylinder-Wall System

1. How do you find the speed of a cylinder?

The speed of a cylinder can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula: speed = distance / time.

2. What is the unit of measurement for cylinder speed?

Cylinder speed can be measured in various units, such as meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), or feet per second (ft/s). The appropriate unit of measurement depends on the specific application and context in which the cylinder is being used.

3. Can the speed of a cylinder change?

Yes, the speed of a cylinder can change depending on factors such as the applied force, surface friction, and external forces acting on the cylinder. These factors can affect the acceleration or deceleration of the cylinder, resulting in a change in speed.

4. How does the shape of a cylinder affect its speed?

The shape of a cylinder can affect its speed by changing the amount of surface area in contact with its surroundings. For example, a cylinder with a larger diameter may experience more friction and thus have a slower speed compared to a smaller diameter cylinder.

5. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed for a cylinder?

Average speed refers to the overall speed of a cylinder over a given period of time, while instantaneous speed refers to the speed of a cylinder at a specific moment in time. Average speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed can be determined by finding the rate of change of position at a specific point in time.

Back