How Do You Calculate the Tangential Speed of a Fan Blade?

• Thread starter Chica1975
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the fan has blades with 0.25m in radius rotating at 20rpm. Each blade tip travels around the circumference of a circle in 1 second, making a total of 1200 revolutions in 1 minute.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

a ventilation fan has blades has 0.25m in radius rotating at 20rpm. what is the tangential speed of each blade tip?

Homework Equations

Vtangential - Omega *r
Conversion to radians is 2Pie radians

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried everything I know and I am really hating physics right now. I can't seem to get this out.

I converted the rpm to radians like this
20(2pierad)*60
then I used the Vtangential equation

Its out - can someone please shed some light. I can't wait for the exam on Tuesday to be over. I have a teacher who can't even speak proper english let alone teach physics.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct.

Thanks - but when I do the whole thing I come out with a totally different answer to the one they have suggested is correct apparently the answer is .52m/s (I get a ridiculous number).
where am I going wrong?

Their answer is correct. You need to post your work for me to see. However, I think it is likely that you are calculating the value of ω (omega) wrong on your calculator.

EDIT: I now see what you did, you are multiplying by 60, you need to do the opposite.

EDIT2: What ehild is saying.

Last edited:
I am entering it the exact same way as I wrote it but I get some ridiculous answer - here it is 7539.822

then I * that by the radius

Chica1975 said:

I converted the rpm to radians like this
20(2pierad)*60

20 rpm is 20 revolution in 1 minute. How many revolutions is it in 1 second, less or more than 20?

ehild

Last edited:
more I thought I had taken care of that by * by 60? Where am I going wrong?

This question is really one of intuition. If the intuition is wrong, plugging into formulas will be risky and prone to error.

The first question to ask is, what path do the blade tips follow? And that is, they travel around the circumference of a circle defined by the blade length. One knows that the length of the circumference is 2pi*radius and one is given the radius.

The second question is, how many revolutions are there in a second? We are told 20 in one minute. That's 40 pi * radius in 1 minute. How far in one second?

Chica1975 said:
more I thought I had taken care of that by * by 60? Where am I going wrong?

rpm = revolutions per minute.

What does the word 'per' imply?

divide

i will try again

Chica1975 said:
divide

So instead of multiplying by 60, divide by 60.

1. What is tangential speed?

Tangential speed is the speed at which an object moves along a curved path or circular motion. It is the component of velocity that is perpendicular to the radius of the circular path at any given point.

2. How is tangential speed different from linear speed?

Tangential speed is the speed of an object along a curved path, while linear speed is the speed of an object in a straight line. Tangential speed is also known as instantaneous speed, as it represents the speed at a specific moment in time, while linear speed is an average over a given distance.

3. How is tangential speed calculated?

Tangential speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled along a circular path by the time it takes to travel that distance. It can also be calculated by multiplying the radius of the circle by the angular speed, which is the rate of change of the angle of rotation.

4. What is the unit of measurement for tangential speed?

The unit of measurement for tangential speed is distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). It can also be measured in radians per second (rad/s) for angular speed multiplied by the radius.

5. What factors affect tangential speed?

The factors that affect tangential speed include the radius of the circular path, the angular speed, and the object's mass. The tangential speed will increase with a larger radius and faster angular speed, while a larger mass will decrease the tangential speed.