1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find tension of string in a pendulum

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pendulum is 0.615 m long and the bob has a mass of 1.37 kg. When the string makes an angle of =14.1° with the vertical, the bob is moving at 1.40 m/s. Find the tangential and radial acceleration components and the tension in the string. [Hint: Draw an FBD for the bob. Choose the x-axis to be tangential to the motion of the bob and the y-axis to be radial. Apply Newton's second law.]
    at = _____m/s2
    ar = _____ m/s2
    T = _______ N

2. Relevant equations

F=MA

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried breaking up the forced using the FBD but I cannot get the right answer for any of them. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. For the tangential acceleration i got: 6.54 and 6.74 doing it two different ways. For tension I got 13.02 N and those are still not correct...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2
    In the y (radial) direction there is T and a component of gravity.
    In the x (tangential) direction, there is only the other component of gravity.

So figure out Fnet in the tangential direction then Fnet in the radial direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?