1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Tension of the wires

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    Ok here the problem i need to find the tension of the three wires but im very lost and don't know where to start or how to finish.

so for i got 32*98 = 313.6N
    i don't know what to do next
    can someone please lead me in the correct direction to solve the problem.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

malty

Gold Member

First thing you need to do is to resolve all the tensions into triangular forces i.e translate a vector so you can treat the three tensions as applying the triange law for vectors
    [tex]\vec{ac}=\vec{ab}+\vec{bc}[/tex]

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3
    ok so i have Fnet=M*a

so for the tension on the rock i have a tension and a weight
    so

ball
    \/ t1
    |
    |
    /\ t1

so would this be the correct equation to solve for T if it is what would the acceleration be because its not give or i don't think there is anyway to find it

T1=313.6 * A

5. Oct 22, 2007 #4

malty

Gold Member

Before even attempting to solve for T you must resolve each tension into it's components. Simply applying a formula here is almost useless.
    I must also apologies for not being able to understand what exactly you mean by the diagram
    \/ t1
    |
    |
    /\ t1
    A isn't given, but it's a safe bet to assume that gravity is present.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?