1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the derivative and critical numbers of a cubed root function

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    1. Find the intervals of increase and decrease

2. [itex] C(x)=x^{1/3}(x+4) [/itex]

3. [itex] C(x)=x^{4/3}+4x^{1/3}; C'(x)=\frac{4}{3}x^{1/3}+\frac{4}{3}x^{-2/3}=\frac{4x^{1/3}}{3}+\frac{4}{3x^{2/3}}=\frac{x^{2/3}}{x^{2/3}}*\frac{4x^{1/3}}{3}+\frac{4}{3x^{2/3}}=\frac{4x+4}{3x^{2/3}}[/itex] I am wondering why the only critical number is -1, when 0 should also be considered.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, 0 should be considered. Whether it gives a relative extremum is another matter.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A slightly better way to write the derivative is:
    C'(x) = (4/3)x-2/3(1 + x)

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4
    Unless 0 isn't considered, because it would make C(x) 0.

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Unless there are some constraints you haven't shown, it wouldn't matter that C(x) = 0.

7. Apr 11, 2013 #6
    Unless, because it is still increasing from -1 to 0 and from 0 to ∞.

8. Apr 11, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think most calculus texts define a critical point as a point on the graph where either f'(x) = 0 or where the derivative doesn't exist. You have to include them when examining for relative extrema or changes in concavity. There's no "unless".

9. Apr 11, 2013 #8
    I think the answer at the back of the book was referring to the intervals it was increasing or decreasing on. That would explain it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted