Find the energy stored in a spring at .05m and .10m

In summary, to find the energy stored in a spring when stretched, you will need to use the formula F=1/2kx^2, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance. Since the graph provided only goes up to 0.3m, you will need to use the given distances of 0.05m and 0.10m to calculate the energy stored.
davyvfr

Homework Statement

Find the energy stored in a spring when stretched .05m, and .10m. Spring Constant of 67.21 N/m.

(I am given a graph)

Homework Equations

F=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, to find the energy stored I believe I am going to need the distance (.05m, and .10m) and the spring constant. Is there a way to calculate energy stored with just this? I am given a graph but the Force vs. Distance (in meters) only goes up to 0.3m so I can't rely on the graph just by looking at it.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the formula for finding the energy stored in a spring?

The formula for finding the energy stored in a spring is E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the energy stored, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How do you determine the spring constant?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement caused by that force. It is represented by the symbol k and is measured in units of N/m (newtons per meter).

3. What is the importance of knowing the displacement of a spring?

Knowing the displacement of a spring is crucial in calculating the energy stored in the spring. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the spring and its ability to resist changes in its length when a force is applied.

4. Can the energy stored in a spring be negative?

No, the energy stored in a spring cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as long as the spring remains elastic. If the spring undergoes plastic deformation, the energy stored may become zero or negative.

5. How does the energy stored in a spring change with displacement?

The energy stored in a spring increases as the displacement from the equilibrium position increases. This is because the spring is being stretched or compressed further, resulting in more potential energy being stored in the spring.