Find the exact value of a differential equation.

In summary: The second integral is differentiable, but the first one is not.In summary, I think you may have gotten confused between the two integrals and ended up solving the wrong one.
Sam Donovan

Homework Statement

dy/dx= 200-2y. y(0)=75

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you move dx over and integrate.

Do you just integrate it 200y-y^2+c

Physics news on Phys.org
andrewkirk said:
This sort of problem is easily solved using separation of variables.

I'm having a little trouble with this. I move it so it becomes

##dy/dx=200-2y##
##dy=200dx-2ydx##
andrewkirk said:
This sort of problem is easily solved using separation of variables.

Sam Donovan said:
I'm having a little trouble with this. I move it so it becomes

##dy/dx=200-2y##
##dy=200dx-2ydx##
No. This is completely wrong. I would strongly advise you to look at some examples of this technique in your textbook.

Using separation of variables, you should end up with all terms involving y and dy on one side, and all terms involving x and dx on the other side.
For this problem,
1) Divide both sides by 200 - 2y
2) Multiply both sides of the resulting equation by dx

In this case, you should end up with ##\frac{dy}{200 - 2y} = dx##, or equivalently, ##\frac{dy}{100 - y} = 2 dx##,

Sam Donovan said:

Homework Statement

dy/dx= 200-2y. y(0)=75

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you move dx over and integrate.

Do you just integrate it 200y-y^2+c
I think what you're suggesting is to solve the problem as follows:
\begin{align*}
\frac{dy}{dx} &= 200-2y \\
\int \frac{dy}{dx}\,dx &= \int (200-2y)\,dx \\
y &= 200y-y^2+c
\end{align*}
There's a problem with that last step. If you don't recognize it, consider the questions below:

Outside of this problem, if I asked you what ##\int 200\,dx## equalled, you'd hopefully say ##200 x+c##, yet in solving this problem, you encountered the exact same integral and (allegedly) said ##\int 200\,dx = 200y+c##.

Similarly, consider the two integrals ##\int 2x\,dx## and ##\int 2y\,dx##. Why can you easily evaluate the first one but not the latter?

Related to Find the exact value of a differential equation.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the variable.

2. Why is it important to find the exact value of a differential equation?

Finding the exact value of a differential equation allows us to understand the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future state. It is also essential in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Which method to use depends on the type of differential equation and the initial conditions given.

4. Can all differential equations be solved exactly?

No, not all differential equations can be solved exactly. Some equations are too complex to be solved using analytical methods, and numerical methods must be used instead. However, many commonly occurring differential equations can be solved exactly.

5. How can finding the exact value of a differential equation be applied in real-world situations?

Finding the exact value of a differential equation has numerous applications in real-world situations. For example, it can be used to model population growth, predict the behavior of electrical circuits, and understand the motion of objects in space. In economics, it can be used to analyze supply and demand, and in engineering, it can be used to design bridges and buildings.