Find the final temperature of the sample.

In summary, the oxygen gas initially has a volume of 1000 cm3 at a temperature of 45.0°C and a pressure of 1.01 * 10^5 Pa. After expanding, its volume increases to 1450 cm3 and its pressure increases to 1.06 * 10^5 Pa. Using the formula t2 = (p2v1/p1v1) * t1, the final temperature of the gas is found to be 484.2°C."
noname1
Oxygen gas having a volume of 1000 cm3 at 45.0°C and 1.01 *10^5 Pa expands until its volume is 1450 cm3 and its pressure is 1.06 * 10^5 Pa.

a) Find the final temperature of the sample.

t2 = (p2v1/p1v1) * t1t2 = [(1.06*10^5 * 1450 *10^-6) / (1.01*10^5 * 1000 *10^-6)] * 318.2 = 484.2I input the answer but it is wrong can't find out what i am doing wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide the full statement of the problem? What is the question that is being asked? If it is the final temperature of the gas, should the answer be in Kelvin or in degrees Celsius?

sorry forgot that portion updated the original post and noticed that i have the problem done correctly, the only problem was that the answer needed to be in degrees instead of kelvin...

I have another question here if you had the time to look at it i would appreciate it

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=399321

1. What is the formula for finding the final temperature of a sample?

The formula for finding the final temperature of a sample is: Tf = (m1 x T1 + m2 x T2) / (m1 + m2), where Tf is the final temperature, m1 and m2 are the masses of the substances, and T1 and T2 are the initial temperatures of the substances.

2. What units should be used in the formula for finding the final temperature?

The units used in the formula for finding the final temperature should be consistent throughout. For example, if the masses are given in grams, the temperatures should be given in degrees Celsius. It is important to use the same units to avoid errors in the calculation.

3. How do you determine the initial temperatures of the substances in order to find the final temperature?

The initial temperatures of the substances can be determined by measuring the temperatures of each substance before they are mixed together. This can be done using a thermometer or other temperature measuring device.

4. Can the formula for finding the final temperature be used for any type of substance?

Yes, the formula for finding the final temperature can be used for any type of substance, as long as the substances are mixed together and there is no heat loss or gain to the surroundings. This formula is commonly used in thermodynamics and calorimetry experiments.

5. What other factors should be taken into consideration when using the formula for finding the final temperature?

When using the formula for finding the final temperature, it is important to also consider the specific heat capacity of each substance. This is a measure of how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. Additionally, any heat loss or gain to the surroundings should also be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.