How to find the Fourier sequence for a function with a period T=2?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier-sequence of a function with a period of T=2. The expression for b_n is given by the integral of the function multiplied by sin(n*omega*x), where omega is equal to pi. The book mentions that the product of the function and sin(n*omega*x) is an even function, but this is not true for the given function which is neither even nor odd. Another function is mentioned and it is discussed that it is neither even nor odd as well. A more conventional way to find the coefficients is also mentioned, but it is not recommended for exams.
TSN79
A function with a period T=2 is defined as [tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}-1-x,&\mbox{ if }
-1\leq x<0\\1-x, & \mbox{ if }0\leq x<1\end{array}\right[/tex]
I'm supposed to find the Fourier-sequence. When trying to find [tex]b_n[/tex] the expression becomes [tex]b_n=\int_{0}^{1} f(x)*sin(n*\omega*x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\pi[/tex] My book says [tex]f(x)*sin(n*\omega*x)[/tex] is an even function, which I can't understand. Doesn't that mean that it should be symetrical about the y-axis? I can't see that it is. What am I not doing right here?

Physics news on Phys.org
A function f(x) is even if f(-x) = f(x) and it is odd if f(-x) = -f(x). Your function satisfies neither of these conditions and so f(x) sin(n*omega*x) is neither even nor odd (the sine function is odd).

Tide said:
A function f(x) is even if f(-x) = f(x) and it is odd if f(-x) = -f(x). Your function satisfies neither of these conditions and so f(x) sin(n*omega*x) is neither even nor odd (the sine function is odd).
Other major defect of f(x) given is that it's not continuous at 0.Restraing things to one of the 2 intervals,i say Tide is right,on any of the 2 intervals the function f(x) sin (n\omega\x) tis neither even,nor odd.
You should check the text again.

TSN79 said:
A function with a period T=2 is defined as [tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}-1-x,&\mbox{ if }
I'm supposed to find the Fourier-sequence. When trying to find [tex]b_n[/tex] the expression becomes [tex]b_n=\int_{0}^{1} f(x)*sin(n*\omega*x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\pi[/tex] My book says [tex]f(x)*sin(n*\omega*x)[/tex] is an even function, which I can't understand. Doesn't that mean that it should be symetrical about the y-axis? I can't see that it is. What am I not doing right here?

Maybe I'm the only one seeing this but [tex] f(x) [/tex] is odd, and the product of two odd functions is an even function.

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}-1-x,&\mbox{ if }

Now take [tex] f(\frac{1}{2}) [/tex]. This is [tex] 1-\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Then take [tex] f(-\frac{1}{2}) [/tex]. This becomes [tex] -1-(-\frac{1}{2}) = -1 + \frac{1}{2} = -\frac{1}{2} [/tex].

More generally, [tex] f(x) [/tex], [tex] x > 0 [/tex] is [tex] 1-x [/tex]. Then [tex] f(-x) [/tex], [tex] x > 0 [/tex] is [tex] -1-(-x) = -1 + x = x - 1 = -(1-x) = -f(x) [/tex]. The same will hold for [tex] x < 0 [/tex]

Also, your formula for [tex] b_n [/tex] is wrong. You have to integrate across the entire period, so you should get :

[tex] b_n = \int_{-1}^{0} f(x)*sin(n*\omega*x) dx + \int_{0}^{1} f(x)*sin(n*\omega*x) dx [/tex]

And input the correct form of [tex] f(x) [/tex] based on the relevant interval.

Thanks to all of you! I might come back for some more help in a while... :smile:

If I draw the line 1-x then this alone would be neither an even or an odd function, right? But if I add the line -1-x, then the two lines are symmetrical about origo. Is this enough to claim that f(x) is an odd function?

TSN79 said:
If I draw the line 1-x then this alone would be neither an even or an odd function, right? But if I add the line -1-x, then the two lines are symmetrical about origo. Is this enough to claim that f(x) is an odd function?
The two lines, I believe, are antisymmetrical. Which is enough to claim f(x) is odd.
The best thing to do, however, is what Tide did.

I'm also having some trouble finding out whether this function
[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0 &\mbox{ if }
-2\leq x<0\\(1/2)x &\mbox{ if }0\leq x<2\end{array}\right[/tex]
is even or odd (or neither). Could someone guide me through a bit step by step please? I'm trying to use the definitions for even and odd functions, but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet...

TSN79 said:

REad my post, it is an odd function. No Palindrome, Tide did it wrong.

[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0 &\mbox{ if }
-2\leq x<0\\(1/2)x &\mbox{ if }0\leq x<2\end{array}\right[/tex]

That function is neither odd nor even.

f(1) = 1/2.
f(-1) = 0

IF it was even then f(-1) = 1/2, and if it was odd f(-1) = -1/2.

franznietzsche said:
REad my post, it is an odd function. No Palindrome, Tide did it wrong.
Actually, I meant you, on your post "maybe I'm the only one...".
I just the wrong name... :uhh:

While dealing with Fourier question, always keep in mind that whatever function that can be expressed in Fourier series has a transformed form of [tex]a_0 + \Sigma(a_n\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L} + b_n\sin\frac{n\Pi x}{L})[/tex]

Then if you can't remember the formula for each coefficient, we can do it by the conventional way, which is tedious as well.
First,
[tex]\int f(x)dx=\int a_0 + \Sigma(a_n\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L} + b_n\sin\frac{n\Pi x}{L}) dx[/tex]
We know that any other terms besides [tex]a_0[/tex] would be cancelled. Thus this enable us to find [tex]a_0[/tex]
Then, to find the coefficient [tex]a_n[/tex] or [tex]b_n[/tex], we can time the LHS and RHS with their respective trigonometric function. One at a time.
i.e. [tex]\int f(x)\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L}dx=\int a_0\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L} + \Sigma(a_n(\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L})^2 + b_n\sin\frac{n\Pi x}{L}\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L}) dx[/tex]
Then only [tex]a_n(\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L})^2[/tex] will survive in this integration. (Consider the graph of [tex](\cos\frac{n\Pi x}{L})^2[/tex] which is always [tex]\geq{0}[/tex]). To find [tex]b_n[/tex], we can do the same thing. For piece function, we just integrate them at their respective interval.
This method is super tedious and is highly not recommended during exam. In the exam, just memorize the formulas and apply them.

1. What is a Fourier-sequence?

A Fourier-sequence is a mathematical sequence that is used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine waves. It is commonly used in signal processing and image compression applications.

2. How do I find the Fourier-sequence of a given function?

To find the Fourier-sequence of a function, you need to use the Fourier series formula which involves calculating the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms. These coefficients can be calculated using the Fourier transform or by using integration techniques.

3. What is the significance of Fourier-sequence in science?

Fourier-sequence has many applications in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to analyze and understand complex periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electrical signals, and physical vibrations.

4. Can the Fourier-sequence be used for non-periodic functions?

No, the Fourier-sequence is only applicable to periodic functions. However, there are other mathematical techniques, such as the Laplace transform, that can be used to represent non-periodic functions.

5. Are there any practical uses for understanding and finding the Fourier-sequence?

Yes, understanding and finding the Fourier-sequence has many practical applications. It is used in various fields, including audio and image processing, data compression, and signal analysis. It also helps in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns and electrical circuits.