Find the height if an orbiting satellite given only velocity.

In summary, the Earth satellite must have a velocity of 6896 m/s to maintain a circular orbit at a height of 2 Mm above the Earth's surface, assuming a spherical Earth with a radius of 6.37 Mm and gravity following an inverse square law.
lubo

Homework Statement

An Earth satellite is to be put into orbit at a height of 2 Mm above the Earth's surface. Determine the velocity it must have. Make the following assumptions: (a) the orbit is circular; (b) the Earth is a sphere of radius 6•37 Mm; (c) gravity decreases as an inverse square law.

(MY main question is to get an idea of how to find the height above the Earth's surface of the satellite, when you are only given the Velocity of a satellite in orbit).

Homework Equations

g' (acceleration due to gravity at a distance R to the centre of the earth)=g*r earth^2/R orbit^2

a=V^2/r orbit

The Attempt at a Solution

g'=?
g=9.81
r earth=6.37Mm
R orbit=6.37 + 2(height)

g' = 9.81*6.37^2/(2+6.37^2)
g'=5.682m/s^2

a=v^2/R therefore v^2=8.37*10^6 * 5.682 Therefore V=6896 m/s

However if I try to work back using V only V=6896 m/s and find the height 2Mm, I can only use g=9.81. Therefore I cannot find g' to allow me to find Ro (re + h). Then I could take Ro from re and I would have the height.

i.e. a=v^2/R = 6896^2/r Earth as I don't have R orbit = 6896^2/6.37*10^6 = 7.465m/s^2

If I try g' =mg then I do not have a mass.

If I try a=rw^2 and find w then I can only use re and a=9.81. Therefore I cannot find the g'= 5.682m/s^2

If I substitute g' with rw^2 and get Ro^3=g*r^2/w^2 I am still only using r of Earth and w from r and not a time period or R orbit

I hope all this makes sense, Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
lubo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

g'=?
g=9.81
r earth=6.37Mm
R orbit=6.37 + 2(height)

g' = 9.81*6.37^2/(2+6.37^2)
g'=5.682m/s^2

a=v^2/R therefore v^2=8.37*10^6 * 5.682 Therefore V=6896 m/s

However if I try to work back using V only V=6896 m/s and find the height 2Mm, I can only use g=9.81. Therefore I cannot find g' to allow me to find Ro (re + h). Then I could take Ro from re and I would have the height.

i.e. a=v^2/R = 6896^2/r Earth as I don't have R orbit = 6896^2/6.37*10^6 = 7.465m/s^2

So what you did is that you found the value for g at the distance Rorbit, then used g =v2/Rorbit to get v. Then used v to get back Rorbit ?

If you need to get the velocity, why are you getting the height above the Earth's surface for?

Though if you needed to get 'h' using v you would just use

GMm/(R+h)2 = mv2/(R+h)

mass of satellite m cancels out, M and G are constants and so is R.

lubo said:

You can't arbitrarily use Rearth just because you don't have Rorbit.
If I try g' =mg then I do not have a mass.
This doesn't make sense at all. You have an acceleration on the lefthand side and a force on the righthand side of the equation. They can't be equal.
If I try a=rw^2 and find w then I can only use re and a=9.81. Therefore I cannot find the g'= 5.682m/s^2

If I substitute g' with rw^2 and get Ro^3=g*r^2/w^2 I am still only using r of Earth and w from r and not a time period or R orbit

I hope all this makes sense, Thanks for any help.
The problem is you're trying to find a number for an intermediate result, g', that you don't have enough information to find. You don't need to calculate the number, though.

The way you solved the problem initially was saying the acceleration due to gravity the satellite experiences is[tex]g' = g\frac{R_\mathrm{Earth}^2}{R_\mathrm{orbit}^2}[/tex]This acceleration is also the centripetal acceleration needed for the circular orbit, so you have
[tex]g' = \frac{v^2}{R_\mathrm{orbit}}[/tex]
Now if you had combined these two equations, you would have gotten
[tex]g\frac{R_\mathrm{Earth}^2}{R_\mathrm{orbit}^2} = \frac{v^2}{R_\mathrm{orbit}}[/tex]
If, as in this problem, you're given Rorbit, you can solve for the speed v. On the other hand, if you were given v instead, you could solve the equation for Rorbit. In either case, you don't need to calculate the value of g'.

Avoiding the stumbling block you encountered is one of the reasons why your instructor has likely encouraged you to work out problems symbolically and to plug numbers in only near the end. I really encourage you to get into this habit. It'll save you a lot of headaches down the road.

What is the formula for finding the height of an orbiting satellite given only velocity?

The formula for finding the height of an orbiting satellite given only velocity is h = (GMt^2)/(4π^2v^2), where h is the height, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, t is the period of the satellite, and v is the velocity of the satellite.

What is the gravitational constant used for in this calculation?

The gravitational constant, represented by the letter G, is a fundamental constant in physics that is used to calculate the gravitational force between two objects. In the formula for finding the height of an orbiting satellite, the gravitational constant is used to relate the mass of the Earth to the period and velocity of the satellite.

How is the period of the satellite determined in this calculation?

The period of the satellite, represented by the letter t, is the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around the Earth. It can be determined by dividing the total time of one orbit by the number of orbits. This value is used in the formula for finding the height of an orbiting satellite.

What are the units for the gravitational constant and velocity in this calculation?

The gravitational constant, G, is typically measured in units of cubic meters per kilogram per second squared (m^3/kg/s^2). The velocity, v, is typically measured in units of meters per second (m/s).

Can this formula be used for any orbiting satellite, regardless of its orbit shape or altitude?

No, this formula is specifically for circular orbits, where the orbit shape is a perfect circle. It also assumes that the satellite is orbiting close to the surface of the Earth, so it may not be accurate for satellites in higher orbits. Different formulas are used for different orbit shapes and altitudes.