Find the initial acceleration in a system

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnitudes of forces between a rod and a box, and between the rod and a surface. The goal is to find a relationship between the rod's horizontal and vertical accelerations by analyzing the initial displacements. The use of forces is not helpful, so the conversation shifts to considering other principles such as energy, momentum, and angular acceleration. The final conclusion is that using torques and angular acceleration is the most useful approach to solve the problem.
RoloJosh16
Homework Statement
A cubic box of mass ##m## rests on a horizontal surface and thin uniform rod, of mass ##m## as well is supported against one of the faces of the cube touching it in its centre. The angle between the surface and the rod is ##α= 45°## and there is no friction between any surface. Initially both objects rest as shown in the picture. ¿which is the initial acceleration of the box at the instant the system is released and starts to move?
Relevant Equations
Mechanics
4.png

Let´ s call ##N_x## the magnitud of the force between the rod and the box and ## N_y## the magnitud of the force between the rod and the surface.

##N_x = ma_c##
##N_x= ma_r##
##mg-N_y=ma_y##

The following I think is to find a relation between ##a_r## and ##a_y## and that can be found by analysing the initial displacements. Since the centre of mass of the rod has the same acceleration as the box and the length of the box remains the same I can write a relation, I did it but it depends on the length of the rod and do not how to follow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I approximate the initial displacements to zero and neglects second order terms then ##\Delta y= 2\Delta x## but I do not know if that is valid

RoloJosh16 said:
If I approximate the initial displacements to zero and neglects second order terms then ##\Delta y= 2\Delta x## but I do not know if that is valid

You might have to rethink your approach. What else could you use instead of forces?

What are ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y##?

## \Delta x## would be the initial horizontal displacement of the rod's centre of mass and ## \Delta y## would be the initial vertical displacement.

RoloJosh16 said:
## \Delta x## would be the initial horizontal displacement of the rod's centre of mass and ## \Delta y## would be the initial vertical displacement.

I have no idea how you got ##\Delta y = 2 \Delta x##. In any case, it can't be right. The motion must depend on the mass of the block.

You need a rethink. What general principles could you apply here?

From mechanics?

RoloJosh16 said:
From mechanics?
What else? That wasn't a very long think!

Likes etotheipi
What meant was that if I needed a mechanics principle.

RoloJosh16 said:
What meant was that if I needed a mechanics principle.
Given this is unambiguously a mechanics problem, what else could it be? What have you used in the past - apart from forces - to solve mechanics problems?

torques?

PeroK said:
Given this is unambiguously a mechanics problem, what else could it be? What have you used in the past - apart from forces - to solve mechanics problems?

Maybe momentum or energy but I do not how would that help?

Likes PeroK
RoloJosh16 said:
Maybe momentum or energy but I do not how would that help?

Yes, of course, momentum and energy and the conservation laws. Thinking about energy and momentum always helps!

I'm going offline now. Have a think about energy and momentum for this problem.

It's valid, but in effect you have found the relationship between the two accelerations and integrated twice. It is more useful to stick with the accelerations.
RoloJosh16 said:
torques?
yes.

PeroK said:
Yes, of course, momentum and energy and the conservation laws. Thinking about energy and momentum always helps!

I'm going offline now. Have a think about energy and momentum for this problem.

Really I do not know how to proceed. I tried writing ##W = \Delta K ## but that is not useful, it just adds more variables.

haruspex said:
It's valid, but in effect you have found the relationship between the two accelerations and integrated twice. It is more useful to stick with the accelerations.

yes.

If we calculate torques from the points where the two normal intersect (for the rod) and apply angular moment we get ##mg= ma_x+ma_y##, is that right?

RoloJosh16 said:
If we calculate torques from the points where the two normal intersect (for the rod) and apply angular moment we get ##mg= ma_x+ma_y##, is that right?
It is not static. There will be angular acceleration.

Well, sorry for being absent a long time. I´ ll go with torques. Writing torques about the center of mass we get:

## \frac {L}{2\sqrt {2}} (N_y - N_x) = I_0 \alpha ##

The equation F=ma here was not useful since you added an extra unknown per equation. So I thought that I could relate the forces to the angle the rod made with the surface and therefore to the angular acceleration. I worked out an expression but it is really complicated and I think it is not the way.

I agree with your torque equation.
RoloJosh16 said:
The equation F=ma here was not useful since you added an extra unknown per equation
But you get such an equation for both bodies, which tells you about their relative acceleration. That is important because you have the fact that they remain in contact, so says something about angular acceleration.

1. What is initial acceleration?

Initial acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes at the beginning of its motion. It is the first acceleration that an object experiences in a system.

2. How is initial acceleration calculated?

Initial acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the initial acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors can affect the initial acceleration in a system?

The initial acceleration in a system can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the presence of friction or air resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the initial acceleration.

4. Can initial acceleration be negative?

Yes, initial acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is decelerating or slowing down at the beginning of its motion. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the initial acceleration in order to accurately describe the motion of an object.

5. How does initial acceleration relate to the overall motion of an object?

Initial acceleration is an important factor in determining the overall motion of an object. It sets the initial velocity of the object, which then affects its subsequent motion. A higher initial acceleration will result in a faster change in velocity and a greater overall displacement.