Find the integral of x/(x^2 +4x +13)

  • Thread starter Thread starter mat331760298
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mat331760298
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
1. Find the integral of x/(x^2 +4x +13)

I'm not sure if I need to complete the square or what. I really don't know where to begin.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Yes, start by completing the square. That will reduce it to something like [itex](x- a)^2+ b[/itex]. Then let u= x- a so that denominator becomes [itex]u^2+ b[/itex] and the numerator becomes x= u+ a:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{x^2+ 4x+ 13}= \int \frac{u}{u^2+ b}du+ \int\frac{a}{u^2+ b}du[/tex]
The first integral can be done by the substitution [itex]v= u^2+ b[/itex] and the second is an arctangent.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


First however note that:
[tex] \frac{x}{x^{2}+4x+13}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{2x+4}{x^{2}+4x+13}-\frac{2}{x^{2}+4x+13}[/tex]
When integrating this expression, the first term is of the form f'(x)/f(x) which integrates to log(f(x)). Complte the square for the second term.