1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude and direction of the net displacement of the player

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A basketball player runs down the court, following the path indicated by the vectors A,B, and C in the figure. The magnitudes of these three vectors are 10, 20 and 7 m . Assume the positive x axis is directed to the right.

There is a 45degree angle outside of where A and B meet, and there is a 30degree angle outside of where B and C meet.

I have found what Dx and Dy are. Dx and Dy are 20m, and 0m. In order to find the degree of the equation you would have to take the tan^-1(Dy/Dx). My question is, how do you solve this when Dy = 0? The answer is not 0 degrees, I know this for a fact. Thanks for all the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2
    if dy is zero, then the resultant angle should also be zero.

You must have added the components incorrectly. It's hard for me to imagine your details. Basically, I think youre trying to say that the angle vector A makes with the horizontal is 45 degrees, the angle vector B makes with the horizontal is 30 degrees, but what about the angle that vector c makes with the horizontal? whats that?

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    No, I know my answers are correct because I had to solve for the absolute value of vectors A, B, and C, and they were correct. Imagine vector A going south. Then vector B heads off to the North East. Then vector C heads to the south east.

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4
    so dy= -10 + .707(20) + -.5(7)=.64
    and dx=.707(20) + (sqrt3)/2 times 7=20.2

resultant theta=tan-1(.64/20.2)= 1.81degrees.

the only thing I'm scepticle about is the who idea of the 30 degrees south of east you gave. It could actually mean 60 degrees above horizontal, but I can't see the problem in your book or the source you got it from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook