Find the Minimum Mass to Turn a 36 KG Round Table Over

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the minimum mass that needs to be placed on the edge of a 36-kg round table to cause it to turn over. The solution involves calculating the torque exerted by the applied force and the weight of the table, using the distance between two legs as the axis of rotation. The final answer is 36 kg.
Jacob87411
Three legs placed equal distances apart on the edge support a 36-kg round table. What minimum mass, placed in the table's edge, will cause the table to turn over? Hint: Place the mass equally inbetween two legs.

Im studying for my exam and going through problems I got wrong, trying to fix them, here's what I did.

Each leg supports 12 KG, 117.6 N.

FD = Force down, one that's beeing applied.
C = Circumference of the table

Sum of the torque = FD(1/6C) - 117.6(1/3C) - 117.6(1/3C)

Since I don't have direct measurements of the table, the distance I put in terms of circumference, using one of the legs that the force is being put in between as a rotation point. I came out with:

1/6(FD) = 78.4
FD = 470.4 N
Mass = 48 Kg

The answer is 36, any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
When the table is just about to tip, the torque exerted by the applied force will equal the torque exerted by the weight of the table. The axis of rotation is the line joining two legs: Find the torques that the forces make about that line. Hint: find the distance the forces are to that line in terms of the radius R.

Thanks, I got it to work out

Related to Find the Minimum Mass to Turn a 36 KG Round Table Over

What is the concept of "Find the Minimum Mass to Turn a 36 KG Round Table Over"?

The concept refers to finding the minimum amount of mass needed to be placed on top of a 36 kg round table in order to make it topple over.

Why is it important to determine the minimum mass needed to turn a round table over?

This information can be useful in designing furniture or determining the stability of objects. It can also help in understanding the physics behind balancing and tipping points.

What factors affect the minimum mass needed to turn a round table over?

The shape and size of the table, the material it is made of, the surface it is placed on, and the distribution of weight on the table all play a role in determining the minimum mass needed.

How can one calculate the minimum mass to turn a 36 kg round table over?

The calculation involves finding the center of mass of the table and then determining the distance between the center of mass and the edge of the table. This distance multiplied by the weight of the table will give the minimum mass needed to topple it over.

Can the minimum mass needed to turn a round table over be reduced by altering the table's shape or material?

Yes, changing the shape or material of the table can affect its center of mass and tipping point, potentially reducing the minimum mass needed to turn it over.